The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Gregad

RCBS warranties.

Anybody have any problem with RCBS Warranty repair people? Sent in a steel sizing die that was scoring cases and I couldn't get burrs out. (Included sample cases)They sent it back supposedly polished. It was a 3 die set and the sizing die has no deprimer pin in it, so they put one in it.

But I still am getting scoring on cases. Contacted them again and they say nothing they can do with it. ???????
Old May 31, 2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Tuzo

RCBS is correct when they say there is nothing more to be done to the sizing die. In order to eliminate case scoring the die must be honed and that would result in a die that is too large in diameter to correctly resize your casings.

A few dirty cases with sand or other hard material imbedded in the brass may have scored the sizing die.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3
dunerjeff

I ended up with one die that did the same thing, I was running nickel brass and quite a few of them weren't the straightest or deburred outside.I ended up replacing it with carbide resizer and all my new dies are carbide as well, haven't had the issue again>
Old June 1, 2011, 05:19 AM   #4
Gregad

I have run probably 10k cases through this and never had any problem. Suddenly it scores like somehow the metal weakened. Anyway, out with the old and in with the new. Won't buy RCBS again as they don't seem to want to get back with a reply to me. Not good customer relations.

About everything I have is Lyman, press, dies, and most other stuff. I want to upgrade presses and thinking Redding that I can get a huge discount on. Maybe take a good look at their dies too.
Old June 1, 2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Stargazer

On the other hand.....I sent in a 5-0-5 scale because I disassembled it to try to clean it and it never worked right again. Asked to just have mine repaired, I would pay for the service no problem. I had a new one sent to me from OHAUS scale company free of charge. That scale was every bit 20 years old. Good customer service to me!

M70 Web Page
Old June 1, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
AllenJ

They have always been very good to me. Yesterday I went by their factory and presented them with a broken index rod from a progessive 4x4 press. They have not made the 4x4 press for years but within a few minutes they had a new one in my hand. When I asked what I owed them they said, "nothing, that is a lifetime warranty part".
Old June 1, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
rbf420

its all about sweet talkin the lady on the other end of the phone. i got their powdermeausre and didnt have the right size meter.. did a little sweet talking and got the right one sent for free.
Old June 1, 2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Tim R

RCBS has always been good to me.......replaced some things I didn't think they would............
Old June 1, 2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Loader9

It sounds like the original poster left out some information. Considering it is a 3 die set, that makes it either a pistol die or a straight wall case die, he didn't say. Odds are extremely high he's sizing nickel brass. RCBS does not recommend the use of nickel brass with a steel resizing die, use a carbide only. I've had issues with nickel brass, 38 Special to be exact, and it scored the cases with a carbide die. I sent the sizing die and brass to them. They sent me back a new, complete set of dies for the 357 Mag with the carbide sizer. They also suggested I trash the brass as the nickel tested out to be far too soft due to being sized too many times. Yet another reason at my place nickel brass goes straight to the trash. I would imagine if the folks that are having this issue but want to slam a good company need to read the enclosed Reloading Die Instructions that comes with every RCBS die. It states the following:
IMPORTANT: We find that most scratching of the interior of a die is caused by nickel cases or grit on the brass surfaces. If you are using nickel pistol cases, we recommend that you use a carbide sizer die.

RCBS makes some of the best reloading equipment out there and they have stood behind their products for decades, but they just can't fix stupid.
Old June 1, 2011, 05:26 PM   #10
dunerjeff

I tend to use a lot of nickel brass,don't consider it better,just like the "looks' I guess,when my steel die( RCBS) got scuffed I already had run probably 2000+ nickel cases through it plus another 500-750 brass cases. I didn't even consider sending for warrantee because I knew the risks(didn't have the funds for carbide at the time)No company can make a steel die that can stand up to nickel(thats what carbides for)Now I've got carbide and I still wouldn't think they should warrantee the sizer dies in those calibers that I'm using nickel but so far they are holding up.
Old June 1, 2011, 09:09 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have run probably 10k cases through this and never had any problem. Suddenly it scores like somehow the metal weakened. Anyway, out with the old and in with the new. Won't buy RCBS again as they don't seem to want to get back with a reply to me. Not good customer relations.
If you attempted to polish the bore of the die yourself, and it was obvious, you voided your warranty. Don't get mad at RCBS for telling you not to modify their dies, and then expect a replacement. And, as Loader9 pointed out - RCBS warns not to use nickel plated brass in non-carbide sizing dies, and to keep all contaminants off your brass.

If you do swear off RCBS, Redding is a good choice. Their dies are fantastic.

....But, oddly.... the Lee fan boys never point out the "horrible RCBS decapping pin" in the Redding dies. It's even the "old" style pin! Kind of makes you wonder how many of them have actually ever seen a Redding die.
Old June 2, 2011, 05:23 AM   #12
Gregad

Number one, I don't resize nickel cases. #2 I have been reloading since early 70s. I bought these dies back in the late 70s. Have run many brass case through them. These dies are the only RCBS products I have. The instructions do say to use 350 grit emery paper to smooth out the die but I know if one does this too many times on any die, it will eventually oversize them. Duh!

I remove the primer with a universal deprimer first. I have used a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for years because I like clean cases. Then tumble to polish them before sizing. I also check for dirt and cracks before resizing.

No loader9 you can't fix stupid but then some people think they know everything.

I don't profane to that claim. That is why I asked here.

Not to worry though, I'll stick to my Redding equipment. Never had a problem with any of it or their warranty work. Never have they made excuses or have had others make excuses for them.

Oh by the way, RCBS did contact me Yesterday. They apologized for not checking the die before returning it to me. If I send it back to them, they will make it right. I told them not to worry because I had new dies ordered. Reddings.
Old June 2, 2011, 05:34 AM   #13
Gregad

FrankenMauser Even though their instructions say to use a 350 grit emery paper to rid the dies of scratches, I did not because I know this will wear them down over time.

Looking at the die again Yesterday while talking to the RCBS rep. I realized somehow they have become magnetized and are picking up fine metal particles from my work area. I hold not RCBS for that.

I have heard pros and cons about different companies but this is my first time with RCBS. First impressions make it for me.

Anyway, Yes most of my equipment is older Redding. I love the Redding stuff and don't hesitate to pay more for quality equipment. You get what you pay for.
Old June 2, 2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Locoweed

In my 40 years of reloading I've called RCBS customer service two or three times. Each time their solution was immediate and free. No hassles from RCBS. They have stellar service. And if you're not using carbide dies then you haven't caught up with modern times.
Old June 2, 2011, 08:28 AM   #15
Jim243

Sorry to say yes and not so good. Broke a decaping pin on a X-Small Base die in 223 about 2 weeks ago. Called and was told that they would send out the replacement right away at no charge. Well that was 2 weeks ago and still nothing. Good thing I have my Lee dies to decap my cases, have bent a few but I can get replacements in 4 days or less from Lee. I have had better CS from Taurus than RCBS, parts shipped in less than 3 days.

Why I spent $50.00 for this single die I do not know, will not do it again.

Jim
Old June 2, 2011, 07:16 PM   #16
mbopp

I've called RCBS and Redding on a few minor issues, in each case the reply was immediate and the parts were sent gratis.
Old June 2, 2011, 08:40 PM   #17
DANNY-L

Nothing but good to say about RCBS
Old June 2, 2011, 08:49 PM   #18
Uncle Buck

RCBS is #1 in my book.

When I was first starting out, I ran in to some issues with the equipment (I did not understand the instructions). I called customer service and the lady who answered the phone spent almost an hour helping me set things up and figuring out how to run it.

I called a second time and same thing, the lady I spoke to helped me find the problem.

If we had more customer service like RCBS has, there would be a lot less complaints in the world.

I think your case is just an anomaly. Best of luck with what-ever company you choose to go with.
Old June 2, 2011, 08:55 PM   #19
mustang66maniac

Like everyone else, I've had nothing but good service from RCBS. Nearly every piece of reloading equipment I use is RCBS, plus they're within driving distance so if I ever need anything I just show up and they give me what I need for free.
Old June 3, 2011, 12:45 AM   #20
armoredman

RCBS has always done right by me - practically everything on my reloading bench except my dies are RCBS green.
Old June 3, 2011, 05:16 AM   #21
Gregad

Well my apologies to everyone. I emailed their technical department and got a reply last night. They pulled the paper work and realized they made a mistake. They got one back with a bad decapping pin and sent it back out to me as repaired.

They are sending me a new carbide sizer to make mends on the mistake.

But yes, most of my stuff is older but has been taken care of and never had any problem to have warranty work done on them except for a 30-06 Redding Die. I sent it in and it was back in less than a week without any problem.

I'll keep RCBS on my list as a reliable company.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Uncle Buck

Glad it worked out with you.
Old June 4, 2011, 07:30 AM   #23
Jim243

Quote:
I'll keep RCBS on my list as a reliable company

Not on my list, still waiting.

Jim
Old June 4, 2011, 01:16 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
Why I spent $50.00 for this single die I do not know, will not do it again.
Why did you spend $50? You're constantly going on and on about using the cheapest equipment available, because it's every bit as good as the expensive stuff. ... Then you pay nearly double the normal price for a single die? (The .223 Rem Small Base die is regularly priced at $26-29. Example. Example. Example. Even over-priced Midway has the 2-die set for $37.)
Old June 4, 2011, 02:00 PM   #25
TXGunNut

Can't wait for one of my dozens of RCBS tools to break so I can give their CS folks a try. Some of it's coming up on 30 years old and other than a few decapping pins and stuck cases (my fault) I'm still waiting for a reason. Mebbe I should just call and say "hi" to the nice folks there. I keep a few decapping pins around, they fit Redding and RCBS dies and they're cheaper than shipping anyway.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.