The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 6, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Kinta

Looking for alternitives to a S&W 3913

I am new here, but since I got good responses from my last question I figured I would throw another one out there. Anyone have any suggestions for a 9mm single stack with a thumb safety that would be close to the S&W 3913? From the sounds of it I may not be able to find the 3913 at lest in my price range,so. I intend to use the gun for concealed carry. I have looked at the Ruger LC9 so any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Also, let me say "I" Want a thumb safety. I know that a lot of people say you don't need a thumb safety or don't want one and I am not saying they are wrong, but I want one. This will be my first gun so I personally will feel better with it having an external safety. Thank you.

~Kinta~
Old March 6, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2
wbw

What is your price range?
Old March 6, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
WVsig

What is the price range....? You can get a 3913 for less than $500

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sea...=3026&Items=50
Old March 6, 2011, 03:40 PM   #4
wbw

Here ya go: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=218141032
Old March 6, 2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Sharpsdressed Man

A S&W 908 is similar to the 3913, but less expensive on the used gun market.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:49 PM   #6
shurshot

A good used 39-2.... and most are well under $500.00. The 39 (and 39-2) is the grandfather of the 3913.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Rspeters

I saw a decent condition 39-2 with a sweet trigger the other day at a gun shop for $389. I was really close to buying it but decided not to because I already have a 3913.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:04 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Taurus line...

For a simple DA/SA budget 9x19mm I'd look at a small frame Taurus.
As for manual safety designs, your choices may be limited. I think Kahr markets a lawyer friendly pistol but Im not sure of the name.
I 4 1 do not like slide mounted safety controls. I like the ambi style frame type.
I'd also advise not buying an older style 9mm(used) that parts or services are not longer offered for.

Clyde
Old March 6, 2011, 10:19 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
A S&W 908 is similar to the 3913, but less expensive on the used gun market.
+1. The only differences between the 908S and M3913 are (1) plastic sights, (2) a plastic guide rod, (3) no RH decocker/safety, and (4) less refined slide machining (i.e. more squared-off edges). M3913/M3914 parts can be swapped directly onto a 908S to address #1 and #2. #3 is only a big concern if you're a lefty and you prefer safety-on carry to DA/safety-off carry (which IMHO is the best way to carry a gun like this). #4 is largely a cosmetic issue.
Quote:
What is your price range?
That's my first question. My second is this: why do you feel you need a decocker/safety? If the safety is not a requirement, I suggest a SIG P239, although this won't necessarily knock the price down.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:26 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Another thought re: 3rd gen S&W pistols; mag safety...

If safety or secure storage(home protection/kids) are issues, you may want to know that many older S&W 3rd generation semi auto pistols(3900/4000/4500/1000) had engineered magazine safety features.
This means the pistol could not be fired w/o the mag seated correctly.

The older 3913s may have magazine safeties but I can't say if newer S&W models do too.

Clyde
Old March 7, 2011, 02:26 AM   #11
michael t

The new Kimber has a safety but way more than the S&W .I carried a 3913 and the only time the safety was used was as a decocker . You don't have a safety on a revolver the long trigger pull is the safety. That and the gray matter between your ears.
Old March 7, 2011, 12:38 PM   #12
bossman

+1 one the S&W 908 . Second choice behind the 3913 and more affordable. Just don't tell anyone it's a secret.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
carguychris

ClydeFrog,

AFAIK all 3rd-gen S&W DA/SA automatics had mag safeties unless they were specially ordered without one.

Regarding ClydeFrog's other points, I've written in past threads that IMHO mag safeties are far better than thumb safeties if your goal is to prevent unauthorized use. First, it's a lot more obvious to the proper user when the mag's out than when a little lever is in the wrong position. Second, rendering the pistol able to fire becomes a multi-step process that an unauthorized user is less likely to figure out by dumb luck. Third, the mag can be physically separated from the pistol, providing another measure of protection.
Old March 7, 2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Kinta

I am hoping to spend no more then $600 for what what ever I get. I would love to spend less but don't we all. The reason I want an external safety is just for the reassurance factor at this point for myself. It is one way that is visible for me to look at the gun and see that it is safe. I do not have to worry about other (like children) getting a hold of it. As I become more comfortable with handling a gun on my own with out others more knowledgeable then me there to help, I will probably get less concerned with having that external safety. (Not saying that I will be less concerned with safety just that I will trust the other safety's on the gun more.)
To all how posted links to places for gun auctions thank you. I had not been checking in on Gun Broker a lot and had not realized that that many end up listed. The time or so I checked they had only one listed or so.
Also, thank you for all the info so far.

~Kinta~
Old March 7, 2011, 09:26 PM   #15
carguychris

Quote:
The reason I want an external safety is just for the reassurance factor at this point for myself. It is one way that is visible for me to look at the gun and see that it is safe.
Since this is your first gun and you're new here, I would like to apologize if what I'm about to write comes off as smart-alecky. I don't mean it that way.

That said, the way I see that a gun is safe is when my index finger is outside the trigger guard. If my index finger is inside the trigger guard, the gun is NOT safe, regardless of the position of any little levers or buttons. NEVER rely on a mechanical device to prevent a gun from firing accidentally. You may leave it in the wrong position at the worst possible moment.

As michael t said, safety is between your ears.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Kinta

Thank you for the comment. I take no offense. The only thing I want to say in response is that I agree with you. I do not want it thought that I know that little about safety and guns. I am learning but the one thing I have made sure to learn first is safety. I am very blessed to have very knowledgeable people helping me.

~Kinta~
Old March 7, 2011, 10:24 PM   #17
Redbeardsong

I can recommend the Ruger SR9c. It has a thumb safety and is very slim. I liked the 3913 a lot when I started looking for my first gun, but ended up going for the SR9c. For a single stack, I don't think the 3919 is terribly slim compared to slim, double stack modern guns like the Ruger, which carries 10+1 rounds, and has a very slim slide and grip (less than an inch). It conceals very easily, shoot delightfully and I've got over 1500 trouble free rounds through mine. It's been super reliable. And it's around $400 brand new.
Old March 8, 2011, 07:29 AM   #18
Willie D

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to want a gun with a Walter-style belt-and-suspenders type safety. If it makes you more comfortable, go for it.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:19 AM   #19
claydoctor

Kinta, if you're willing to spend $600, why not get the 3913? I've seen plenty of them for less than $600. I think I paid $350 for mine about 2-3 years ago
but I had a gun dealer whose book of gun values, fortunately, was way out of date. It is easily my favorite 9 mm. Mine came with Pachmayr grips, which are still thin but much better than the factory plastic grips.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Squibb

Gun Broker is the place to watch for 3rd Generation S&Ws. But, as you can see, the prices on certain pistols are going thru the roof. A 3913 TSW, might be found for under $500. But a pre-rail is going to be cost more, and condition can be a real concern.

I'm just stunned at what the Lady Smith, especially the NL, can go for now. As you can see from some listings people are asking $700 and $800, and they are keeping a straight face. A NIB sold for $700 a couple of months ago.

If you can find a 3914, hit it like a heat seeking missile. Someone suggested a 908, and I agree, if the price is right. I've been collecting S&W 3Gs for quite a while and I've watched the market skyrocket for 3913s, CS9s and 45s.
Last November, GB had three NIB CS45s listed for $650 each; they were gone in less than a day. In retrospect, I should have bought them all!
Old March 8, 2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Kinta

claydoctor, the reason I was looking for an alternative was because it sounded like I may have trouble finding the 3913 (though thanks to the info people have been providing things are looking up) especially with out having to buy online. I am one of thoughts people that likes to have there hands on something before I buy it. Even if I have handled that particular gun before. Not saying I am ruling out online but just trying to avoid it.

~Kinta~