The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
ak-kev

One disappointing aspect about Uberti

Well after have the most fun in a long time with my new black powder adventure, I had to buy another one. This time I bought the Uberti 432c, Remmy, 1858 in stainless and 5.5 in barrel. The revolver is very well put together. The stainless is very nice, the dovetail front sight is nice and square as is the loading lever latch. The grips are fit very nicely and the trigger is very nice as well; no take-up, and no creep, very crisp. I did have to play with the timing for a while trying to get it where I like it. I dont know why they try to get it so perfect. They try to drop the bolt right in the bolt stop. I guess thats good, but Im afraid of it changing ever-so-slightly and then peening one of the edges. So I place the bolt one bolt width outside the stop and let it drop in. Anyway, no biggie.

The disappointing thing is the frames on both of my Remmy's are different in the grip area???? Both are Uberti, both are 2011, one is stainless, the other is case hardened. The grips will not interchange. I cant understand this. What is their reasoning for this? I have a set of fake ivory grips comming today from Buffalo Arms and now Im going to be forced to fit them to only one of the Remmy's instead of being able to swap them between the two according to my mood. Most disappointing. Anyway, I just needed to vent. Kevin.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Hawg

It isn't just Uberti. All the clone grip frames are final finished with the grips attached. No two clones will interchange grips perfectly unless you're just lucky.
All the custom grips have to be fit to a particular gun and are made a little oversize.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Ben Towe

Weren't many of the originals final finished with grips attached as well?
Old February 5, 2011, 01:58 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I'll add this as a sideline to the grip question - I have a DA Colt Army Special in 38 spl that was made in 1910. It is my understanding that in the early days of manufacturing (at least for Colt DA revovlers) the grips were hand fitted to each frame - and then the grips were serial numbered to the frame. The grips to that pistol that I am talking about have the same serial number as the pistol scratched on the inside of each of the hard rubber grips. Thus, there can be a variance, even in an actual Colt - at least in these early DA revolvers. I can't speak for how the frame and grips were fitted in the original BP colts or the SAA. As has been said, there can be a difference between the grips on the same make/model such as you have discovered. I really think that about all a person can do is to hand fit a set of grips to the individual revolver - if they happen to fit and interchange with another one you have - all the better but there's bound to be a difference. . . . maybe minor, maybe more.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63