The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2010, 02:13 AM   #1
burger and fries

2 3/4 shells

Hello,

Is there a significant difference in effectiveness of 3 in. shells over 2 3/4 in.? Talking about 00 buck only.

Thanks,
bnf
Old March 18, 2010, 08:24 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Significant? Not really. If you compare apples to apples there is a potential advantage in that there would be more shot being expelled out the muzzle. In the real world you need to compare apples to oranges. Read the amount of shot contained in each shell from one manufacturer to another. You'll find some 2 3/4 inch shells that have as much, or sometimes more, shot in each shell than that found in another brand of 3 inch shell. If you want more shot coming out the muzzle you need to see how much shot is in the shells you are buying. All things being equal, you can get more shot into a 3 inch case than a 2 3/4 inch case. One other thing, depending on what you are going to shoot, OO buckshot isn't always the best. Sometimes #4 in a 3 inch shell is better due to the number of pellets/balls being discharged and the pattern density at the distance you expect to be shooting.
Old March 18, 2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

burger and fries

3" = higher pellet count, no added speed, more felt recoil. For me it is not an advantage. The quicker I am back on target, the more effective I am. Just my humble opinion.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 18, 2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

Something like 15 pellets for the 3" vs 9 pellets for the 2 3/4"

I have not met any critter in my part of the world that looked me in the eye and said "Willie, you are gonna need to hit me with 6 more .33 caliber pellets because the first 9 weren't enough."

Unless defending against black bears, I recommend quality buffered 2 3/4" over any magnum 3" shell.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Hog Buster

Denser shot pattern, no other advantages, that’s it.

Reminds me of the debate about 2 3/4 inch standard and 2 3/4 inch magnum shells years back. Folks thought that the magnums were anti-aircraft shells and they could kill ’em as far as they could see ‘em. The truth was they were only getting more shot in their pattern.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:43 PM   #6
bamaranger

pellet count INCREASED recoil

You get a higher pellet count, (15 v. 9) but a bunch more recoil.

I have not used a bunch of buckshot on game (deer, dispatching road cripples) but there might be an advantage to getting a few more pellets in the air and on your animal in a hunting scenario...... but you'll pay a price in recoil.

For HD/SD/ duty use, the std 9 pellet load is universal, I believe due to recoil and recovery issue. The popularity of the reduced recoil 8 and 9 pellet loads is likely proof to reinforce the point.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Lee Lapin

3" maggie numbs only cost a few bucks a box- buy a box of 5, or even a couple of different brands, and see for yourself how they pattern in your gun compared to your favorite 2 3/4" load of 00.

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 19, 2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I have 3 1/2" 10 gauge because that's the only way I could get 10 gauge ammo. For everything else from 20 to 12 gauge its 2 3/4" because it works. Dead turkey, dead deer, dead Raccoon and feral cats. They wouldn't get any deader if I used a larger shell. (.410 is 2 1/2"), the one box of 3" shells I have I got because I wasn't paying attention when I picked them up. If you are going to miss with 2 3/4" shells you will probably miss with the longer shells too.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 20, 2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Charles Ellis

Depending on who makes the ammo there is very little difference.Federal makes a 2 3/4 in 12 ga that has 12 pellets in 00.They also make a 2 3/4 in #4 buck that has 34 .25 cal.pellets.Those are my 2 favorite buckshot loads,however if I was practicing with buckshot Seller & Bellot 12 ga 00 costs only half as much and is the issued buckshot of several Federal police agencies.
Old March 21, 2010, 09:35 PM   #10
apr1775

Both are limited to 11500psi. If the 3in has more shot, it may likely have lower velocity.