The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1
shane32

primer help

Hello. I need a little help deciding what primers to use. Can someone please fill me in on what the numbers on the primers correspond to? Been using cci 400s but dont know whta the 400 means. Thanks
Old October 12, 2014, 10:08 PM   #2
olddav

I don't think it means anything, it's just a way to ID them.
Old October 12, 2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Sevens

The 400 is CCI's method of saying that you have a small rifle non-magnum primer.

If you're looking for suggestions on how to choose a primer, I would suggest:
--don't use magnum primers unless you have a specific need for them
--find a primer brand at a price you can stomach
--choose a particular brand ALSO based on your personal ability to GET them

I use CCI primers because that's what I have always used, because that is what the gun shop guy pushed across the counter at me when I was 16 years old and starting out in handloading. I continue to buy CCI to this day just so that I'm always running something I know.
Quote:
I need a little help deciding what primers to use.
Tell us what you intend to load or what you have been loading and maybe we can help a little better!
Old October 12, 2014, 11:05 PM   #4
rg1

Best article I've read talking about primers. Scroll through the entire discussion. CCI 400's are simply small rifle primers. Most say to not use in AR's or similar rifles with floating firing pins because the primer cup is slightly thinner than CCI 450's, CCI 41's, or Remington 7 1/2's and you could possibly get a slam fire. Lot's of others say they've had no problems with 400's in their AR's. Check out this article:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0
Old October 13, 2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Longshot4

rg1:
That article is now in my saving list. For a beginner or senior reloader there is lots of information there. I can't stress enough for a person wanting to load needs a library of manuals... for excellent reference. Thanks for the article.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Jeff2131

I find that cci seats smoother and easier then.federal. if take the time to clean and prep the pockets then id say its just a matter of price and availability. If you dont prep and clean properly then youll find alot of difficulty is seating certain brands of primers.
Old October 13, 2014, 02:45 PM   #7
hartcreek

You are going to have to match the primers to the powder that you wind up using. Some powders require magnum primers once you get up past a certain amount of grains.