The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
david_r

New M&P 9C shot placement

I'm left handed and I think I bought a right handed gun. I took my new gun to the range and was shooting consistently to the right of the aim point. I switched to my weak hand and was on target as much as I could be with this not-my-glock trigger. Switched to my G-31 and nope, it doesn't appear to be flinching.

What gives? Is the grip too small for my hand? I know "the chart" says I don't have enough finger on the trigger. It seems like I have as much finger on the trigger as I do with my glock. Would the large back strap help?
Old January 26, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Do the shots feel like they are breaking where they should? Have you tried dry firing to see whether the gun is moving when the shot breaks?

Many times dry firing a little bit can help you diagnose and fix this. I don't think that switching the backstrap will fix your problem, especially if you already don't have enough finger on the trigger. I would say to go back to the small backstrap first.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
tristar viper

For what it's worth, the M&P 9C that I had and sold, shot low and right all the time. My Glock on the same day with the same ammo was dead on, my Sig on the same day with the same ammo was dead on, so I blamed the gun.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
jmhyer

I suggest you fire it from a rest to determine whether or not it's something you are doing...grip, trigger jerk, flinch, etc. My M&P9c also was shooting right - both off-hand AND from a rest. Based on this, I determined that the rear sight needed to be drifted to the left. A few taps with a brass punch and it was good to go.

For what it's worth, I'm also a lefty. While this may not fix your problem, it worked for me.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
jon_in_wv

It should be easy to tell if the gun is shooting to the right or you are. The fact you say it doesn't shoot right if you switch hands means it is probably you or it would do it in both hands. That is, of course, if you aren't flinching or pulling your shots left with you weak hand. Try shooting groups at different distances. If you can shoot a nice group, and its mechanical, the group should get slightly larger and move further right as you move the target further away. I suspect you aren't shooting a very good group and you pulling the shots. As you move the target further away you might find the group tighten or center up as you focus more on your technique for the longer shot. You said you have a "glock finger". I think you probably just need a little practice to adjust to the different trigger pull. My EDC is a M&P 9C and typically it takes a lot more effort for me to shoot a Glock well due to the difference in the trigger.

Watch your front sight you should be able to call the shot based on where you saw the front sight as the shot broke. Also, follow through after the shot, keep the trigger pulled to the rear and lower the sight back into the notch after the shot and before resetting the trigger for your next shot. If the sight is off center when you line it up again chances are you are pulling the shot and need to make an adjustment. The sight should fall straight back down into the notch after your shot. Use this technique for your slow fire then as you get better and increase speed you will see your ability to shoot accurately at speed improve as well.

Last edited by jon_in_wv; January 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
david_r

Thank you for the replies.

The reason I was thinking the grip was too small is the chart says when you are shooting to your weak hand side, you don't have enough finger on the trigger. I am thinking that I am squaring off my first two knuckles (if that makes sense) and pushing to the right on the over-travel. I am trying to keep the trigger in the middle of the pad of the first knuckle. Maybe going to the bigger grip will get my trigger finger more alongside the frame or maybe I just need to pull the trigger with the crease between my first two knuckles?

The gun seems to have more over-travel. I will focus on follow through and find some snap caps to see what I can see. Honestly, my groups suck but are consistently to the right except for the occasional round.

jon, when I can find some more ammo, I will go through those steps you outlined.

How do you shoot a pistol off a rest? Sorry but what do you rest on the rest? I have a rifle sandbag I can take to the range.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
jmhyer

I have a pistol rest from Caldwell but, honestly, two sandbags stacked on top of each other should work just fine. You just want to be able to stabilize the muzzle to prevent movement that might be related to trigger pull.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

You just rest the bottom of the frame on the bag.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:17 PM   #9
STW

I had my M&P9c out Saturday and consistently shot low and left when shooting with my right/strong hand. I normally shoot a full size M&P45 just fine. I adjusted how my finger was on the trigger so it was more center pad and that took care of the problem. I didn't realize that with the smaller gun my finger didn't naturally fall in the same spot as the .45. It doesn't take much to be wrong.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
jon_in_wv

Even a little pit of poor finger placement shouldn't disturb your shot that much at normal distances if you have a proper grip. I would look online at some articles or check youtube for some advice on a proper grip. Having a proper grip makes a lot of difference too.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:26 PM   #11
breakingcontact

Dry firing will definitely show if and how you are jerking the gun while firing.