The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
fshmonger

Looking to buy a 1911 any thoughts?

Buying a .45 for my boyfriend for Christmas and was looking for some feedback. He's a big boy, 6'5" and 250 with really big hands. I'm looking at guns and with my little 5'3" and 100 pound frame everything looks big to me.
Any big guys have comments on what 1911's have a good fit for you? Right now I'm looking at a Kimber Team Match II or Kimber Tactical Custom HDII but I am open to ANY brand.
I also like the look and feel of the Taurus but I am afraid of the price tag! The Kimber's are running about twice the price- Is there a reason for that!? I have not had a chance to try a Taurus myself so I don't know how to feel about them-
Thanks in advance for your help!

Lynne
Old October 7, 2009, 08:31 PM   #2
skoro

As a kinda big guy (6', 220) with big mitts and as a 1911 fancier, I'd recommend a Colt Series 70 Government model. Your guy will almost certainly be very pleased. Colt is to 1911s what Harley is to v-twin motorcycles. Certain makes just have that intangible "something" that others lack.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:40 PM   #3
45ACP39326

Lynne,

Your boyfriend is a very lucky man. You cannot go wrong with a Kimber. I cannot vouch for the Taurus 1911 but I have 3 Taurus 24/7 and love the way they shoot. I have a 45 my wife and Dad each have the 9mm. I have had problems with my 24/7 feeding properly in the 45 but I think that it is due to a problem with the magazines. I have not heard of any problems with the single stack 1911 style magazines. You may want to go to Taurusarmed.net and look around that forum for 1911 issues. There are a lot of companies that make 1911 style pistols including Para, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig, Springfield, and Taurus. Your best bet is to do a little research on the internet, determine how much you want to spend then narrow your search. The most expensive gun is not necessarily the best. Good luck.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
fshmonger

I love Colt's- Especially seeing as both my bf and I share a July 19th birthday AND Mr. Samuel Colt also is a July 19th baby- well only he was born in 1814! I haven't been able to find a Colt 1911 to hold outside of a used one that LOOKED like it was made it 1911 and was an overprice rust bucket (not antique...)

Thanks for the feedback!
Old October 7, 2009, 08:51 PM   #5
fshmonger

Thanks for the Taurus web page- I will go check it out! And I am just so happy to have a man that enjoys the sport of shooting as much as I do! I am just as lucky!
Old October 7, 2009, 09:17 PM   #6
natjohnb

Go with a COLT. I would love to receive one for Christmas.

I have been very happy with my S&W1911, although if you are considering S&W, get a stainless model as the bluing on mine sucks!
Old October 7, 2009, 09:20 PM   #7
rsxr22

There are lots of many good options when looking at 1911's. I think you are making a fine choice with the Kimber's. I'm a big fan of the Tactical personally, but either one is a real winner.

I think it is safe to say that your boyfriend found a real winner with you. I am lucky enough to have a girlfriend like you and i love when she buys me guns! She always seems to know exactly what i want LOL.

As far as the Taurus goes, i think your making the right decision with the Kimber. Taurus makes an afforable 1911 and many people here are happy with them. I have a decent amount of experience with them working at a gun shop/range and there have been many issues with them. Normally the issues are not with reliability of any sorts and i always comment on how well they function, their issues lie with their fitting. Taurus' black finish is very weak and doesnt hold up well to holster wear, my friend had no more than 600 rounds through his through 3 range trips and from using a blade tech holster, the finish was already starting to wear off. The triggers on the PT1911's are very squishy. And the controls are not fit well, the thumb safety is way to easy to activate.

All these are relatively cheap and easy fixes, but why bother? IMO Kimber has one of the best production trigger in the business and everything is fitted to the pistol very nice
Old October 7, 2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Officer's Match

Colt is a good bet. Sure to be appreciated. Otherwise, Kimbers are good too.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Beentown71

One of my favorites...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...clicktype=1911

I like the "loaded" model. Comes with everything I want in a 1911. My local fun shop has a new in box, stainless version for $749.

Happy shopping,

Beentown

P.S. Do you have a sister in OH. My brother needs a good wife to keep him in line

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 7, 2009, 09:25 PM   #10
JWT

I'd look at the Colts and also Springfields in addition to the Kimbers. As others have said, there's lots of good 1911's available. but you won't go wrong with a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Beentown71

Just as a favor....Let us know what you decided on and his reaction.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 7, 2009, 09:48 PM   #12
fshmonger

Great feedback on the Taurus! Sometimes it's the little things that make a good gun... not so good.

Sorry, no sister, I'm an only child And believe it or not, it's hard to find a man that is comfortable enough in his masculinity to take his lady out and shoot with her. My ex-hubby was not into guns and wasn't as good as me so he stopped being interested! My new guy's a Marine and is an incredible shot. I would never admit it to his face but I have to actually try when I shoot with him- if you know what I mean! I find shooting with him a challenge and I love it!

And I will post his reaction! I'll even try to get a good picture too! I'm really undecided so far but the feedback is helping!

Thanks to everyone!
Old October 7, 2009, 10:05 PM   #13
HisSoldier

Quote:
I'm looking at a Kimber Team Match II
My Team Match II is amazingly accurate and reliable. They are expensive guns and it shows. There are better guns for the money, without MIM parts, but so far the Kimber is the winner in the accuracy department, and to me that's very important.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:06 AM   #14
jakeg823

as has already been said the colt is a classic, and you cant go wrong with it. I would personally be ecstatic to receive either! I drool over every gun on the Kimber site(except the Aegis family, they're insanely ugly). Personally i'm looking at the crimson carry ultra. you really cant go wrong w/ either brand
Old October 8, 2009, 11:15 AM   #15
michael t

Dan Wesson CBOB or a Colt Bother better than the Kimber I traded a Kimber back for a Colt and have never been sorry
Old October 8, 2009, 11:35 AM   #16
tom234

IMHO Kimbers are over rated and over priced. I you want a quality 1911 at a reasonable price take a look at the S&W SW1911 line where there are many options. BTW, the "1911" is a specific 5" .45 ACP platform and the size/fit should be the same no matter what manufacturer you select.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #17
rsxr22

tom

you are granted your right to opinion, but what may i ask is overrated about Kimber?

I find some of their models to be overpriced for what you get, but that happens a lot with companies including powerhouses like Sig. The 2 Kimber models that she has listed are great for the money you spend. Kimber had problems a while back with their internal extractors, but neither of these models have them. I have many 1911's and my only Kimber, a Kimber SIS is one of the best 1911's ive ever shot. I like the Springer's but i feel the only one that is worth a look is the TRP imo, because i would never buy a 1911 that didnt have front strap checkering. My only gripe about Kimber is they only offer 30 lpi checkering and i like a minimum of 25.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:12 PM   #18
Unicron

+1 for the Kimber Tactical Custom HDII.
a couple months ago...I almost bought a on gunbroker.com/gunsamerica.com for ~ $1100. but went with the tactical entry II instead (love it by the way).

A loaded springfield would be great also.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:19 PM   #19
azredhawk44

fshmonger:

Try Wild West Guns, up in Alaska.

Alaska? Yes, Alaska. You'll avoid sales tax costs, but end up paying for shipping costs and FFL transfer fees instead. Washes out even.

Ken up there can get you a Colt 1911 of just about any spec, and he loves folks from The Firing Line.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/contact.html
Old October 8, 2009, 05:44 PM   #20
gun nut

springfield loaded, s&w, colt, sti. good values for the price. kimber good tight guns but usually more money.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:09 PM   #21
rbs

I know a guy who bought a new Taurus 1911 last year and within the first 50 rounds the ambidextrous safety broke and he had a run a round about getting it fixed. I did speak to him the other day and he has had no more problems with it.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:25 PM   #22
BigJimP

The Team Match weapon you are looking at - has an adjustable rear sight / and I'm not sure that's what he wants.. vs a tactical weapon.

When it comes to 1911's - the more time they spend on a gun assembly bench with a gunsmith / translates to money - and better trigger fit, feel etc - and the Kimber custom shop guns are a little better guns than the ones you're looking at ( like the Raptor, Gold Combat II, etc ) - but once you get up near the $ 2,000 mark / in my opinion, you should look at Wilson Combat or Ed Brown for a much better gun than anything Kimber will turn out.

Wilson Combat CQB ( close Qtrs Battle ) is a very good gun / Ed Brown makes a Kobra carry, etc - again very good guns. Wilson Combat has a much better customer service rep than Brown - but both guns are very good. The best 1911's I have are Wilson - Protector models - 5" in a variety of calibers / and they'll make whatever you want unless you're set on a .45 acp. Good luck in your search. ( I would not go with a Taurus ..)
Old October 8, 2009, 06:28 PM   #23
fshmonger

Wow! lots of great feedback! Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences so that I can make an educated decision about what brand to choose!

I will have to check out the gun guy in Alaska- maybe I can go there to check out a gun or too! hehe!

I also will be checking on here in the buying section to see if the gun I end up choosing is up there- would rather give my money to someone instead of a big store- I'm from NJ anyway so there are only a handful of Knowledgable gun shops out here!
Old October 8, 2009, 06:29 PM   #24
FishEngineer

While not a "true 1911" Para Ordnance makes double stack .45s that are ideal for large hands.

http://www.paraord.com/new/product.php
Old October 8, 2009, 06:30 PM   #25
45Gunner

Wow, you're a keeper. Buying your boyfriend a 1911 for his birthday!!!! Lucky guy and you do know the way to his heart.

I'm not exactly a tiny guy at 6'2" and nearly 240 lbs. I never met a 1911 I didn't like. I'm sure whatever you buy him, he will love. However, buying a gun is sort of like buying a suit. It can be of fine quality and look great, but unless it's fitted properly, it just won't be what you wanted it to be.

Kimbers are great guns...own two myself. Colts are fine as are a lot of other brands. Of course some are better than others. And everyone that owns a gun thinks they have a great one so that is what they are going to recommend. If I may suggest, why don't you give him a gift certificate where you plan to buy the gun and let him pick out his own? If you are looking for the surprise factor, work a deal with the dealer to buy something and then if there is something else he would rather have, it could easily be exchanged.

Good luck and happy birthday to your boyfriend.
NRA Life Member

Tags
.45 acp , 1911