The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 16, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Polishing a feed ramp

I have a Neos that has a little feeding issue with HP bulk ammo. Failure 1 out of 10. Feed ramp is rough with a little lip in the entry into the chamber. I used a half round needle file to knock down the lip with limitted improvement. The needle file didnt leeve a polished smooth edge and I would like to improve on it. Thinking of using a die grinder with a cratex cone wheel.
http://www.newmantools.com/cratex/index.html
I would like to know what you guys use.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 16, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
pgdion

My second NEOS had some issues (1st one, a SS 4.5", has never missed a beat). I slightly deburred the edge on the base of the barrel by very carefully grinding it with a Dremel tool and a cone shaped grinding bit. And I didn't grind much, just took the sharp edge off (so it looked more like my SS one did). Then polished the feed ramp with some 1000 grit sand paper (oiled). Also took the extractor pin out of mine and carefully filled the rough edges off of it. The pin on my SS one has always been glass smooth but the pin on the black one always felt gritty. It's much better now. Still haven't completely resolved the issues with this one. It occasionally does not fully enter battery. Then I get a lite strike and a failure to fire. Seemed like it was working ok last time out but I need more range time on it to be sure. btw - mine worked great for the first 400 or 500 rounds and then started acting up.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:28 PM   #3
BoogieMan

I hope this isnt a sign of things to come. I have around 3-400 in it now. Never had issues with the CCI mini mags, I wanted to shoot the 555 boxes that are $16 at Ntatchez. I have touted how great this thing was several times, I dont want to eat my words.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 16, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
BoogieMan

It worked. Feeds everything I put to it tonight. Remington and Winchester HP.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 17, 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
pgdion

That's great news!

My first one continues to be flawless after many thousands of rounds. Most have been Federal bulk and Blazer. It has never missed a beat and that one will shoot any ammo. From what I read, that one is closer to the norm but I have seen a couple of posts of problems like my second one.

Ironically, I bought the 2nd one to have a 6" barrel for leagues. It helped the slow fire scores but I ended up really liking the 4.5" barrel better so when it started acting up I just switched back to the other one. It's the main reason I haven't fully resolved the issues on the 6" one yet (along with being just way to darn busy lately). I think the tweaks may have fixed it but I haven't had the chance to really tell. It usually behaves good and then acts up on the 2nd or 3rd shot during the rapid fire when there is no time to correct for a failure.