The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Inscrutable

Recommended .45 ACP

I'm looking for recommendations with a brief explanation for a .45 ACP pistol that might be carried (CCW). Not sure how much a decent pistol costs, so I'm looking at different price ranges.
Old September 6, 2010, 12:51 AM   #2
FoxtrotRomeo

If you don't want to drop the cash for a pretty good 1911 (they are an investment and my first choice everytime all the time) then there are two that come to mind that I wouldn't hesitate to pick up.

The Sig Sauer P220 (I've shot one, I like it), They usually have a pretty decent price tag on them unlike the P226 which will cost you as much as some 1911s give or take (P226s are not in .45 ACP, but they are the decendant of the P220 that to my knowledge, only comes in .45 ACP).

The XDM-45 (I've heard a LOT of positive talk from owners on this one). Take your pick in barrel length, 5 inch, 4 inch and I think a 3 inch too. Personally I prefer a 4 or 5 inch barrel (I own an XD-40 Service model in .40 S&W and it's a keeper.)

As a side note I keep hearing it so I'll go ahead and say it (I got your back my 1911 brothers in arms), I think RIA has some pretty sweet deals on 1911s they make and they seem to be pretty reliable too.

As for me I have a Taurus PT1911, I love mine, the finish is a crappy and ugly blued finish but it puts rounds on target, all the time every time and the price tag wasn't too bad either.

I'm also getting a Kimber I have on layaway at the shop but you may not wanna drop that kind of cash just yet.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old September 6, 2010, 06:28 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Concealed .45acp picks...

This topic comes up a lot lately. In short, depending on your budget & skill level, I'd suggest the HK45compact(LEM), the SIG Sauer; P220 carry DAK or the Glock 30/30SF with a NY+1 trigger.
A DA only system will avoid snags or annoying bumps. It can also prevent false claims of "cocking" the pistol hammer or firing by accident because of your fear or carelessness. These pistols are in use by many large LE agencies for these reasons.
As for ammunition; get the Speer Gold Dot 200gr JHP +P, the Corbon 230gr JHP +P, the Remington Golden Saber bonded JHP +P 230gr, Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP; bonded, DoubleTap Ammo 230gr JHP +P or 200gr JHP. The Hornady Critical Defense, TAP and the Magsafe SWAT .45acp rounds could work well for limited uses(offices, hotels, hospitals, courts, etc).
Old September 6, 2010, 07:00 AM   #4
ejfalvo

I have an XD 45 Compact. Over the few years I've had it, and shot hundreds of rounds thru it, it has performed flawlessly. Admittedly, I didn't compare it with a Glock or others, saw it at the local shop, handled it and it just felt right. Bought it then and have zero regrets.
Old September 6, 2010, 07:07 AM   #5
darkgael

For CC? Glock 36. I use one...carry one. I have hundreds of rounds through it and so far there have been no problems of any kind. I expect that that will continue.
Pete
Old September 6, 2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Pilot

I like the 1911 for .45 ACP. Its a proven, slim and accurate platform. A Colt Lightweight (alloy framed) Commander XSE would be a good choice for CCW. If you don't mind a little more weight, get the all steel version.
Old September 6, 2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Around here a S&W M&P Compact will set you back about $550.00. I like the M&P with the thumb safety.

Lots of good choices, big thing would be to find an indoor range that rents guns and see what fits.

It's sort of like recommending shoes - size and "feel" vary widely from individual to individual.
Old September 6, 2010, 08:33 AM   #8
plateshooter

Another vote for the M&P45c. For myself, I would forgo the thumb safety.
Old September 6, 2010, 08:56 AM   #9
tomwalshco

Second on the Glock 36. Carry mine with a very secure Clipdraw.

Kahr PM45 would also be an excellent choice. I've got a PM9 and carry that most days. Glock in the winter.

Old September 6, 2010, 09:04 AM   #10
zombieslayer

I'd recommend an officer sized 1911. I sometimes carry one and love it. All-metal construction is, imo, a good thing. I love the trigger on a good 1911. For me, 1911's carry well.
Old September 6, 2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Stumper

Different things work for different folks. The biggest thing that I am comfortable with concealed given my normal attire and occupation is a Keltec PF9.......and normally at work I carry a P3at. Weight and bulk create problems for me carrying concealed. I once owned a Colt Officers Model .45 .......while I really liked the gun I didn't like carrying it ........and I didn't enjoy shooting it much either.(Recoil was not a problem but the concussion from the .45 in the stubby barrel hurt my sinuses.)

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old September 6, 2010, 09:48 AM   #12
41 Magnum

I have a Springfield Armory, Compact. I have several thousands of rounds thru it without a malfunction of any kind. I would & do trust my & my Family's lives to it. It has functioned flawlessly from day one, & handles Hardball & hollow points with equal ease. It is surprisingly accurate at normal combat ranges, & beyond !! My Son has the Colt Government Model, & I like it also, but I wouldn't trade Him. I also have a Sig P-220, & P-226, My Son had a Glock 17, & I also had a Glock 21 which We both sold in less than two months. I absolutely HATE the Glocks feel, & I much prefer to carry the S. A. 1911. The only .45 I have found that I really like in the "Tupperware", is the Springfield XP Compact.

Old September 6, 2010, 10:05 AM   #13
finz50

Carried a Glock 30 for three years as my EDC......G36 is a fine choice as well. M&P45c is another option I'd recommend. Find in that fits you and happy shooting!
Old September 6, 2010, 11:02 AM   #14
chris in va

I have an older Sig 220 and carry it quite a bit in the cooler months. It's very reliable but I just have a difficult time shooting it for some reason. The grip is too thin for my large hands, and the bore axis is quite high.

I'm seriously thinking about a Glock 21 at this point. Too bad Glock doesn't make a 19-sized 45, I'd really consider it.
Old September 6, 2010, 12:03 PM   #15
tackdriver

Up until a month or so ago, I also would have suggested a proven manufacturer's officer-size 1911 as a first choice. Today, I'd suggest either the Glock 36 first, then the S&W M&P 45c.

I used to hate the Glock trigger. I had a baby Glock and didn't put the time in to learning the trigger or to messing with it to make it better. I have a Glock 19 now, and after spending a lot of time with it, it's easy enough to make the trigger quite good. The downside of the Glock is that you're only getting 6+1. That may make some people anxious, but I also carry a J-frame Smith, so I'm OK with it. As far as compact-frame plastic guns go, it has a record for being reliable, which is something the much more comfy and smaller Kahr does not have.

The M&P is a slightly larger gun and gives you two more rounds in the magazine. I passed on the M&Pc recently because although I liked the grip feel a little better and the smoother trigger, I didn't shoot it any better than the Glock, it didn't conceal any better and it was about $100 more expensive than the Glock. Add to that the glut of Glock aftermarket and holster support and my mind was made up.

An officer's size 1911 is next on my shopping list. They're slimmer and I shoot them much better than I do the plastic guns when the trigger is tuned. The only downside is that the beavertail tends do dig into my side. That can be solved with the right holster, though. If you go this route and go cheap with a Rock Island, you're still going to want to get some aftermarket sights installed (I consider this mandatory. Those GI sights are useless under stress and against any kind of dark background), which will put you in the Glock price range ($500), probably over.
Old September 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

Tomwalshco wrote:

Quote:
Second on the Glock 36. Carry mine with a very secure Clipdraw.
If you don't mind me asking, are you using a trigger block with that or carrying it unchambered.
Considered that method for a while, but went a different but similar route.

Took a Glock sport holster, then cut it up so that it had a tab on the outside, then riveted a leather belt loop to it. This way, it is a IWB and rides exactly like your clip draw, with no extra width, since the original sport holster is so thin. Same postiion. But safer because the trigger is covered.
Old September 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #17
Sgt Pepper

#1 Kahr P45. #2 Glock 36.

If weight of pistol is not an issue, then Colt Officer's ACP.
Old September 6, 2010, 02:30 PM   #18
Zathras

for me, my colt defender fits my cc requirements..lightweight, stainless steel slide, and never a problem...and fairly easy to conceal...you can get one in the neighborhood of $850.00 if you look around..
Old September 6, 2010, 04:55 PM   #19
Squibb

A closely, cleverly kept, secret is the Bersa .45 UC, duo tone for $375.00. The matte is $350, the nickel is $400. They are hard to find and you almost never find them used. I know it's a trite cliche, but you will be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck. They're usually tack drivers right out of the box, and a lifetime warrenty.

Before you let someone blow them off, ask yourself why they are so hard to find, new or used.
Old September 6, 2010, 04:58 PM   #20
Terry A

The Glock21SF, Springfield Armory XD-45 or any of their 1911 models, Kimber,
etc. Today, there's a whole host of great quality .45's to be had. Check out the various websites, find something that fancies your eye or taste, then do your research on that make and model. Go to the store and handle it and you know the rest of the story!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old September 6, 2010, 05:21 PM   #21
Rangetime

I'm gonna say this once and the knowledgeable will agree and the not so knowledgeable people will disagree! John Browning designed the 1911 to be 5" period, end of story. Anything less, especially the 3" officer models suffer from serious reliability issues. Yeah but mine......... You haven't put that many rounds through one then. I haven't seen one yet that worked 100% reliably all the time. Yes, I owned a Kimber Ultra II Eclipse and it was a jamamatic and a joke. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough after sending it back to Kimber and it came back with a list of so called repairs totaling 13! Good bye and good riddens! A 5" is what John knew would work so that is all I stick with now in a 1911 platform. I also have a Sig P-220 and a Glock 21 and 30 in .45 ACP. These three are the most reliable outta all my .45's. Hate me if you will, but it is the truth!
Old September 6, 2010, 05:31 PM   #22
zombieslayer

Well everyone has their own opinion. I have a 3" 1911 that's a joy to shoot and hasn't had any problems. I've only got 600rds through it though...
Old September 6, 2010, 05:45 PM   #23
Slip Shooter

This was my choice just 2 weeks ago.

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old September 6, 2010, 06:10 PM   #24
Rangetime

Well, STI is a huge step up from Kimber! Har-har-har!! LMAO...... I wouldn't own another if it was free!! Give me Wilson, Les Baer, Springfield Armory and Colt. I have good luck with those!
Old September 6, 2010, 06:21 PM   #25
ceadermtnboy

My glock 30 is my most accurate pistol. If you read enough threads you will find the 30 has a reputation for accuracy. The only drawback is the thicker grips but I have small-average size hands and I find the grip comfortable and the design soaks up recoil nicely.

Tags
.45 , pistol