The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 2, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Creature

Bushmaster w/ no compensator. What are my options?

I have recently purchased a barely-used Bushmaster XM15-E2S (A2 upper and buttstock) with a 16" non-threaded barrel.

Because it has no flash hider, what are my options? Do I need to take it to a gunsmith or send it back to BM?...or is there a better/easier option to put on a good flash hider?

Last edited by Creature; April 2, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 2, 2008, 10:18 PM   #2
DIXIEDOG

Your best bet is to have it threaded if you really want a flash suppressor. You could have one pinned on but then you couldn't change it yourself later if you wanted a different type suppressor.
Old April 3, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
.22lr

Before you spend the cash,

Congratulations on a great rifle!

Are you SURE that you want / need a flash suppressor? From the picture and the description, I believe that I may have the same model. With the ammo I use, I haven't noticed much need for one yet (XM-193, American Eagle 55g FMJ, Corbon 53g DPX).

By no means am I saying that the suppressor is bad. For myself, there are other ways in which I would spend the money (I just want one CHEAP hobby!).

One area I do recommend spending a bit on is the grip. Its a very subjective thing, but I'm very happy with the change.

One more parting thought: It looks like you have the h-Bar (heavy Barrel) configuration. If this is to be used for home/self defense, you might consider a new upper with a thinner barrel (which usually comes with a flash suppressor).

Try this sometime; with the rifle UNLOADED and pointed in a safe direction, hold an imaginary bad guy at gun point. That heavy barrel gets very heavy very quickly, realize it might be a long time before the police arrive and make the arrest. Just a though/observation.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Creature

Quote:
Are you SURE that you want / need a flash suppressor?
I am pretty sure that I want the suppressor.

I understand that it probably isnt nessasssary to have a flash hider, and that it can interferre with accuracy...but I think I want one on my barrel.