The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 24, 2015, 09:14 AM   #26
rohhiram

Thanks for the tips everyone. The reason I was looking at those two rifles/cartridges is because the main thing I'll be using this rifle for is plinking at the range, but with the ability to take a white tail under 200yd (maybe 150) if I ever wanted to. Currently no plans for that yet, but I'd like to have the option. So it would NOT be a dedicated hunting rifle, just something I can buy cheap ammo, plink with, get started, and maybe take a deer or two.

That being said, part of the reason I'm holding off on buying a .308/30-06/270 etc. is so that I have an excuse to buy another rifle later "But honey, the 7.62x39 doesn't reach out past 200 yards, and I know how much you like venison..."

So in short, I've decided I'm going to go with a CZ 527. Everyone that has one seems to love it, and they seem like great little guns that hold their value. I saw the Zastava M85, but I couldn't find a whole lot of info on it. I read replacement parts are a pain to find, extractor's aren't robust, trigger isn't as good as the CZs, and the action isn't quite as smooth. Does anybody know anything about the M85? Or Zastava? It's cheaper, but don't you usually get what you pay for?
Old July 24, 2015, 09:45 AM   #27
98 220 swift

I would not get the mosin. most are rather inaccurate. I have owned several and all where terrible at 100 yards. I know some people have better luck but I have not. Also the safety is a terrible design for hunting use. Even for target use I get discouraged quickly with mine. I have sold all but 2 just to keep because they fit in with my milsurp collection. I have not shoot them in years.

The cz is a very nice rifle. But the 7.62x39 is not a 200 yard deer cartridge. 100 yards max. There are plenty of other rifles in your price range that would be a better choice.
Since you like military actions try to find a sporterized mauser in .308. Most can be had fairly cheaply. Just make sure to have a gunsmith check it out first. Some where not sporterized very well. Most are ok. They also can be found in 30-06 or in the original 8x57. Surplus 8x57 is still around for semi cheap. It has a little more punch than the 7.62x54r. They are usually more accurate. I have a cz mauser made in 1923 that I can put all five rounds in a paper pate at 275 yards with surplus Turkish ammo. With open sights off the bench of
course.

Last edited by 98 220 swift; July 24, 2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old July 24, 2015, 10:32 AM   #28
Hawkeye_FH

Also, if you are interested in milsurps, take a look at a Swiss K31. Especially since you said you wanted to start with open sights, though they are not as easily scoped as something that is already properly drilled and tapped for mounts. Many people claim they are the most accurate of the WWII era military bolt actions, and they can usually be found for around $350 also. The 7.5x55 it fires is similarly as powerful as the 7.62x54R, .303 British, and 8mm Mauser.

I'm picking up a Schmidt Rubin 1911 (the predecessor to the K31) tomorrow. I'm going to try to do a little write up on it once I get to put a few rounds down range.
Old July 24, 2015, 11:17 AM   #29
98 220 swift

I agree with the K31s. They are wonderful works of art and very accurate. I have also owned several of these. 1" groups with surplus ammo is the norm. The surplus ammo is not that expensive either. and its non corrosive. The only down side is the safety is also not very well designed. I took one of mine deer hunting one day and lost a shot at a nice buck due to messing with the safety trying to turn it off.
Old July 24, 2015, 09:27 PM   #30
tobnpr

K-31's are the most undervalued milsurp in the market now.
Don't ask me why (despite earning a living largely with the Mosin-Nagant platform) wartime refurb 91/30's are selling for $200 and more, and the K-31 can be had for just $100 more. It's insane... the K-31 with GP-11 will outshoot one all day long.

Primary reason, I suspect, is the difficulty in scoping them. I have done one and it shoots like a dream, but I've never been a fan of offset scopes. Zero can only be set for a specific distance and holdovers for any deviation. Fine for hunting (as in close "enough"), but not practical for target shooting.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 4, 2015, 05:03 PM   #31
Death from Afar

While I agree with the K31, you might need to look at the cost of ammo. I don't know what it is like in the US, but the stuff here is twice if not more than a factory sporter round. Ouch.

I own a lot of mosins and I just love them. But, yes, they are not ideal for hunting.
Old August 4, 2015, 06:08 PM   #32
kilimanjaro

The 7.62x39 will be a fine deer cartridge out to 200 yards, if you place the shot properly. Soft point hunting ammo will not be as cheap as surplus ball, but you won't shoot the expensive stuff every day.

Try for 100 yard shots, you'll do much better, and have to track them a lot less.

For a Mosin-Nagant, it's really a milsurp collectible, go ahead and get one, 1920-1940, with nice lettering and matching numbers, and enjoy it. If you want to turn one into a deer rifle, get a WWII issue, 1941-1945, and modify it all you want, they're common as dirt and one less won't hurt the collecting planet.