The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Ruger Blackhawk grip frame

I have a New Model Blackhawk stainless 6.5" .357 of late 2011 manufacture. It looks exactly like this new one- http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...ss/models.html except mine came with rosewood grips. I want to replace the grips with some aftermarket ones so I wont care if they get a scratch or two, and the originals will still look nice years from now. Do I have a new-version XR3 or an XR3-red grip frame?

The factory grips have "XR" etched on the inside but thats it
Old March 13, 2013, 04:14 AM   #2
steveNChunter

By the way mine DOES NOT have the lock in the grip frame. Dont know if that makes a difference.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
feets

Take a look:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-a...ip-frames.html
Old March 13, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Bob Wright

Your gun has the XR-3RED grip frame, as a New Model Blackhawk. Only the Flat Tops and New Vaquero have the XR-3 grip frame. (With the exception of the early three-screw guns.)

As to scratching your grips, these are impregnated with some type of plastic material and scratches can be buffed out so they will never "age" properly.

Don't waste money replacing these grips. The grips you buy will be of far more value than the ones that come from the factory.

Bob Wright
Old March 14, 2013, 05:49 PM   #5
steveNChunter

Interesting, I didnt know that about the factory grips. But they also dont fit my hand the greatest.

I'm thinking about ordering the Hogue rubber monogrip. I know, they are cheap and ugly but they are also more durable and functional and look like they will fit my hand better. This gun will be carried alot particularly on fishing and hunting trips and I want something tough with a good sticky grip w/ finger grooves. I already have Hogue rubber grips on my Ruger MK III, and a Hogue stock on my Howa 1500 rifle. I like them both so I figure I'll like one on my Blackhawk. I know some of Hogue's products get mixed reviews but I think it's largely a preference thing.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:04 PM   #6
newfrontier45

Nothing you can buy will be more durable than the factory rosewood laminates. Those oversized rubber grips will shift your grip too low to be able to reach the hammer with your thumb. They will direct more recoil directly into your palm, take the hide off your palm and generally ruin the handling characteristics of your single action. Are you tucking your pinky under or trying to cram all your fingers onto the grip? Is this your first single action? If you're unfamiliar with how to handle a single action I'd suggest spending some time with it before making it feel like something else.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:20 PM   #7
steveNChunter

I have shot other SA's but yes this is the first one I have owned myself. Ive been putting all my fingers on the grip. I'll try tucking my pinky under and see how that feels. Ive shot long guns ALOT since I was old enough to hold one but I've only started seriously getting into handguns more in the last couple years.