The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2011, 06:28 PM   #26
schmeky

I fitted a Kart barrel to mine and did some other stuff too. Like mine a lot; solid shooter and good platform for a build.

Old July 20, 2011, 08:12 PM   #27
Gerry

Wow, for once I feel lucky being a Canadian when it comes to guns!

I bought a Norinco M-1911A1 Government "Sport Two-Tone" .45 ACP with the nickle plated chromed frame for $349.00 last fall. That's the retail price here. It's a much more modern version that has a nicer finish with extended safety, mag, and slide release. It's all forged steel and the barrel is chrome lined. It also comes stock with the 3 dot sights.

I like it, especially after Marstar Canada did a trigger job on it for free after I complained about how crappy it was. It hasn't had a jam of any sort ever and has eaten thousands of my reloads and cast bullets. And it's still more accurate than I am.
Old July 20, 2011, 10:10 PM   #28
jaysouth

After a couple of thousand rounds, I figured out what I wanted udgraded.

Here is the result:

I think that I got the utlimate working gun finish. Park over duracote then a sealcoat.

Millett front sight, Heirloom Precision rear sight, wilson tactical thumb safety.

The trigger breaks at 4.5 lbs like the proverbial glass rod. Brown extractor, firing pin plate, sear, disconnector and C&S hammer.

Navidrex grips.
Old July 20, 2011, 10:17 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have two Norincos. I have put 8500 logged rounds through one, with zero failures, and no change of springs or other parts. I have put 2500 rounds through the other one, same story. Mostly GI ball or equivalent, but some Golden Sabre. The high round one is a primary home defense gun; I know it will work if I need it.

Jim
Old July 21, 2011, 01:19 AM   #30
Jeff OTMG

They were a great gun. As noted some of the parts were substandard, but the frame and slide were forged steel. When Clinton banned importation of the Norinco, Springfield Armory and Colt were dancing in the street. The price of the Norinco undercut both of their buget line 1911's.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:04 AM   #31
Amin Parker

JaySouth that is one good looking Norinco. I really like the finish.

Is the front sight Silver Soldered on? Has it been fired a lot since it has been fitted???

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:48 AM   #32
jaysouth

Amin,

I wanted a tough non-reflective finish. this pic was illuminated using a 400 watt worklight.

The front sight is a stake on from Millett. It came Orange, but the smith told me to try white. OK so far.

Based on primer consumption, I have about 4,000 rounds through it since 09 when it was redone.

By the way, the small parts on an original may be a bit crude in appearance but they are tool steel and very tough.

The steel in the slide/frame is very tough. My smith will not make any milling cuts unless I buy him a new cutter head. The barrel is the weak link. This is the original barrel but was hard fit by the smith. He told me that a new barrel would be in my future if I shot it "too much". I wish I had the time or money to "too much".

My first Nork was done up internally without any cosmetics. It was amazing from reliabiltiy and accuracy. I gave it to a family member who forgot it was in his gear when he went to the sandbox. He sold it to another team when he came back. it is now in it's fourth holster, still in the sandbox.

Sure would like to get it back someday.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:51 PM   #33
baggy270

Sport two tone

I too bought the sport two tone from Marstar for $349...put a few hundred rounds through it and it getting more accurate the more I shoot it. Swapped the stock grips for Pachmayer wrap arounds. Stock mags work fine...tried a Chip McCormick and the first round in an 8 round mag always wants to nose dive on feed....2nd round is no problem. It's going back tomorrow. Smooth nice looking tight gun.

Insulted a guy at the range when I asked if his gun was a Norinco...it was a Kimber.

Dave
Old September 13, 2011, 09:57 PM   #34
Gerry

baggy270, I changed the grips on mine to one of those rose wood ones from that Thai guy on eBay. They are very sweet.

My experience with Marstar has been better than what folks make it out to be on gunnutz. They accept stuff back for fixing even if it works but you're not completely happy with it, like my terrible trigger. As an update, I've still not had one single jam with mine since I bought it. Being IPSC match season in these parts, I haven't really been shooting it much lately so we'll be putting it through its paces again this winter. Hopefully the Ruger SR1911s will arrive and I can do a shoot-off and post the results
Old September 13, 2011, 10:02 PM   #35
bac1023

I love my Norc 1911.