The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 1, 2000, 09:11 AM   #1
Sackett

I am interested in purchasing a shoulder holster, but never having used used one, I have a question about how to specify whether you want a right or a left hand version. On a belt holster, if you are a right-handed shooter you specify a right hand holster. However, with a shoulder rig will asking for a right hand version because you are a right-handed shooter put the holster under the right arm rather than under the left arm?
Old January 1, 2000, 10:19 AM   #2
motorep

If you're right-handed order a right-hand holster.
Old January 1, 2000, 12:21 PM   #3
p1445

Spend the extra money and get a good one. You won't reget it.

p1445
Old January 2, 2000, 01:46 PM   #4
Cat

It's been a long time since I've worn a shoulder holster. I have tried a few that just didn't cut it. One of my problems is I am heavy. Most heavy people aren't comfortable with a shoulder holster unless they buy from a company that knows what they are doing or the rig is custom fitted.
The best shoulder holster I ever used was an old Jackass model. They are being made by Galco as the "Miami Classic" these days. Itwas a vey comfortable holster for me. I did modify the mag pouches so that they hung horizontally instead of vertically. This made it much easier for me to get the spare mags out.
Anyway, cheap won't get the job done if you are serious about carrying all day.

Neil Casper
Old January 5, 2000, 01:47 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

I really like wearing a shoulder holster, especially wehn I am driving for many hoursr at time (as I do far too often....).

I have had many different ones, and I can some up the golden rule very quickly:

Nylon = bad
Leather = good

The two companies that I like the most are DeSantis and Galco. I really like the DeSantis rigs with the WIDE front straps, I thought they would be harder to conceal at first, but they are not, and I find them noticably more comfortable than even other good leather rigs. Make sure that you USE the offside mag pouch(es) to even out the wieght load.
Old January 5, 2000, 05:38 PM   #6
Roadking

I carry in a Galco Miami Classic. I find it very comfortable. I agree with those above, get leather and spend for quality. Two other guys in my division who wear shoulder rigs both wear the Miami Classic. One carries a S&W 40 the other carries either a Sig P226 or Berreta 92F. I carry an HKUSP40C. I'd carry my USP Tactical in it but they don't make a holster for it.
Old January 6, 2000, 12:52 AM   #7
Anthony

Hi Sackett,

Take if from me, I've tried some factory stuff from Bianchi and Safariland. Both are serviceable, but if you really want the shoulder rig of your dreams call Sam Andrews in Florida. He's done two for me and if it's cold enough for a jacket I've got one of them on. Sam can configure them almost anyway you want.

My revolver one is for my .41 Magnums and sports three horizontal speedloader pouches and a knife sheath under the other arm.

My auto one is for my Glock 20 and sports a spare horizontal magazine pouch under the holster and three more under the offside with a knife sheath behind them.

Both holsters and pouches are cordovan and carved with a fancy basket stamping. The holster has my initials on it. Very cool to me.

Lots of equipment...right? Well, it's still comfortable after ten hours. The secret is the harness. Everything is a soft suede including the connector that holds the straps together. It's also wider across the shoulders to distribute the weight evenly. Lastly, it has an additional horizontal strap on the lower part of the harness that keeps the holster from moving forward when withdrawing the equipment.

Trust me, this one is a keeper.

Lastly, don't be afraid to suggest an idea if you have one. Sam runs a custom shop and loves to try new ideas.

- Anthony
Old January 7, 2000, 01:02 AM   #8
Blue Jays

Hi All-

Sackett, our friend Anthony is "right on the button" with what he is saying.

I too have had the pleasure of using many of Sam Andrews products (multiple shoulder rigs, belts, knife sheaths, IWB holsters, mag holders, etc...)

He is a true craftsman and is always eager to "work with you" for any special needs that you may have in your leather gear.

My moving boxes are still in the garage, but you can get his number by calling information and asking for Andrews Custom Leather in Alachua, Florida. When I'm all moved-in one of these days I'll post the address and phone.

You'll be quite happy if you make this decision to go with Sam.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old January 7, 2000, 10:50 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

Okay, now I want one of those.....

What kind of knife are you carrying, Anthony? (fixed or folder)
Is it horizontal or vertical? If vertical, is it point up or point down?

I take it that Sam would build whatever I asked for, but I wonder what has been working for you??

-Rob
Old January 7, 2000, 11:01 PM   #10
PROSOUTH

Well I don`t carry one as much as I used to, but I still have a nice Black Galco SSII for my Glock 23. The only difference in it and the above mentioned "Miami Classic" is that it has the wide shoulder straps and seems to carry a large or heavy pistol a little better. Other than the wide straps it is the exact same rig.

I remember when Galco International was the Jackass Leather Co. Back then the story goes that one brother was in the womens brassiere business and the other into leather. After being shown the Miami Classic the undergarment brother pointed out that the bigger the objects held, the wider the straps must be or they would cut your shoulder. Alas the Galco SSII shoulder straps were born. I don`t know about the bra, but the wider shoulder strap seems to be more comfortable on a shoulder holster.

It does come in black or tan or did when I bought mine.

I have had the oppertunity to run with it on and never has moved an inch. The earlier post about being a balanced rig is probably the best part. It doesn`t require any strap to hook to your belt or any elastic attachment to make it work if you have the magazine carrier on the opposite side. Mine also has a cuff case below the magazine carrier. It actually wears like a vest.It is quick to put on or off.There is also a very liberal adjustment system to assure a good fit.

I am sure the custom rig described is very nice, but I am going to speculate that it is also quite expensive or at least somewhat more costly.

I am not to sure about the story I included, but the SSII is a real nice rig, of that I`m sure........prosouth
Old January 8, 2000, 11:53 AM   #11
Blue Jays

Hi Rob-

Sam will build you whatever you want on the "off-gun" side. I went with a double canted (your choice of straight or canted) magazine pouch and removable sheath for a Gerber Mk. I knife carried tip-up/handle down.

You could have him build a double magazine pouch with a vertical pouch for a folder, if you desired on the off-gun side.

The suspension system has to be seen and worn to be truly appreciated. The lower backstrap prevents the gun from "following" when it is presented.

IMHO, the wide leather straps tend to print less than narrower nylon straps. My opinion extends to color, too. He usually does the shoulder straps in a medium-brown, cream-colored backstraps, and your choice of holster color. The cordovan looks fantastic and the three colors mentioned shouldn't "shadow" as an all-black holster might in the same application. His light brown (which I have in an IWB holster) is really sharp, too.

Lastly, make sure to get one of his belts! I measured the width of the loops on my casual slacks and jeans and had him make a couple of taper-front belts that are my favorites. His fancy-stitch versions are particularly "non-gun" looking.

Enjoy...

~ Blue Jays ~

Old January 8, 2000, 04:02 PM   #12
Sackett

Thanks to all of you for your advice re: shoulder holsters. I have decided on the Miami Classic. A little place in Irving, Texas ( http://www.aactionsports.com/Galco/index.htm ) sells the Miami Classic Shoulder System for $92.25 (regardless of revolver or pistol model). Their web site did not show a holster for the particular Glock model that I have so I contacted them and they ordered the holster for my model at no extra cost. I picked it up on Friday and spent about an hour this morning making the initial adjustments. I will probably tweak it more after I have worn it for awhile.

ProSouth, you answered one question I also had. In the brochure that came with the holster, optional tie down straps for the holster and mag carrier were mentioned and I wondered if they were needed.

I was also surprised that the thumb break on the holster is on the "body side" of the holster rather than on the "arm side."

After using a Kydex IWB holster, the leather really seems to grip the Glock. I have adjusted the holster's tension screw as much as possible and I suppose the tightness will loosen somewhat after some wear.

As a novice with a shoulder holster, any other advice that you care to offer will be welcomed.
Old January 9, 2000, 12:23 AM   #13
Roadking

Sackett,

If you carry handcuffs you can get Galco's handcuff pouch that attaches to the plastic loop on the magazine pouch. This doubles as a tie down. I haven't found the need for a tie down on the pistol side.

Also, periodically check the screws in the straps to make sure they are tight. Almost lost one, doesn't seem to be an item easily replaced.
Old January 21, 2000, 12:36 AM   #14
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

As promised earlier...Sam Andrews address:

Sam Andrews Custom Leather
Route 4, Box 48
Alachua, Florida 32615
904-462-0576

Send this gentleman a couple of bucks and obtain his catalog to see some really innovative designs. As I've said a whole bunch of times....what a great craftsman.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old January 22, 2000, 12:06 PM   #15
Patrick Graham

Bianchi used to make something called the "scorpio system". It was a very nice shoulder holster that could be taken off the shoulder straps and carried on a belt, mag pouches and all. I don't believe they make it anymore.

As far as the Galco holsters go, I've got one of their Maimi classics and two of their SSII's, I love em. They are great when they are broken in but they are real stiff and tight at first. If you do get the Miami classic or SSII make sure you always pay attention to the tension screw and strap screws, the tension screw will need adjustment as the holster wears in, same for the strap screws.

The Galco stuff is great.
Old January 22, 2000, 03:06 PM   #16
Sloman

Ahhhh, I am going to upset the apple cart!
I have used many shoulder rigs in my times
(ie. Safariland, Galco, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes), and found the most comfortable to be the Uncle Mikes fabric vertical carry shoulder rig with dual mag. holder on other side. The Uncle Mikes has many velcro adjustment straps built onto this rig and you can customize it to fit YOU, not somebody else ! Plus, it is half the price of leather! And very light weight!