The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 20, 2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Things are looking up

I decided to go coyote calling this evening at a neighbors place, he called me awhile back and told me he's lost a calf or two, I left the house about 4:15.

Pulled into his hay field about 4:25, parked close to the road on the east side of the field so my truck would be hidden by a slope in the field from where I was going to make my hide.

Got my gear situated and headed West down the fence line, traveling light with mouth blown calls, my rifle, range finder and my cushion to sit on.
Walked in about a half mile to my spot, got situated and looked things over through my range finder.

After about 15 minutes of quite time I started blowing some soft rabbit cries.
After about 5 minutes a coyote appears in the picked soy bean field and is about 800 yards Northwest from me.
I tried coaxing him in but no dice, I think he's been educated.

So I blow the old long interrogation howl, man o man all heck breaks loose, I have coyote vocals going on all over the place.
The coyote 800 yards from me in the bean field could care less, so then I do a challenge howl, still no response from him.

I blow a few soft rabbit cries and another interrogation howl, wait a little bit blow another challenge howl and follow it up with the old kiyi cries.
Two coyotes Southwest of me come loping in heading North, cross the fence line I sitting in, I bring the old bull barrel savage 223 to my shoulder break the shot and the first coyote drops, jack another round in, pick up the second coyote in the glass, break the shot and coyote number two goes down.

One hide, two coyotes, I sure do love it when things work out like this.
It was getting to dark to see good so I'll go back in the morning and pick them up out of the hayfield.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old January 20, 2015, 11:43 PM   #2
hoghunting

Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon. Good luck tomorrow.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Old Stony

What are you guys doing with the dead critters? Anyone actually making use of the hides...how and where?
Old January 21, 2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

Quote:
What are you guys doing with the dead critters? Anyone actually making use of the hides...how and where?
I give the coyotes I shoot to a neighbor boy that lives North of me.
He peels them out and sells the skins to a fur buyer, it gives him a way to make a few bucks.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old March 6, 2015, 08:20 PM   #5
"JJ"

Nice job Bob! No photos?
Come on brother! You know how everyone loves photos!
Haha! That is a great stand by any standards!
Well done!