The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
towncarblue

eaa witness types

im interested in buying a eaa witness steel in either 10mm or .45 but there are a couple of types that they sell and i don't know what the difference is....
witness match
witness stock
witness limited
witness gold team
witness limited pro
witness stock 2

what are the differences?
which would be a good one to buy? im looking to buy this firearm full size
Old September 21, 2009, 09:15 PM   #2
VinnyT

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-elite.html
Old September 22, 2009, 02:59 PM   #3
hardluk1

If your look'n for a single action gun for play then you can't beat the match. It can be bought for at or under 500 dollars if you work at it and it will out shoot most pistols costing 3 or 4 times as much. You can also change the full size guns from 9mm, 38super, 40, 45 and 10mm with just a convesion kit. OH, for got the 22 kit. The other (steel guns) range from other SA and DA/SA guns that go upto factory raceguns. All depends on how much you have to spend or what class your shooting in if your a competitive shooter. Do check out the eaa site for more details and enjoy one of them. Check henningshootsguns and brian enos eaa witness forums. I have a match that has been a great gun with no round malfutions or any problems.
Old October 2, 2009, 03:08 PM   #4
spikey614

I picked up my first Witness pistol about 2 years ago. It was a used steel frame in 9mm. This not one of the new "Full Size" frame pistols. It is however my first DA/SA pistol and I LIKE it alot.

I have sinced purchased a New Full Size Frame 10mm Witness. I paid $400.00 OTD and was given a box of Winchester 10mm 180gr FMJ ammo. This is one of the best pistols I own. As for power I think I was told by a friend who knows that the 200gr 10mm JHP bullet will closely match veocity with the 200gr 41 Magnum round. So IMO I consider this to be a 41 magnum semi-auto pistol.

Right now I'm using the last of a batch of Winchester 10mm Subsonic 180gr JHP LEO only bullets. Besides that I use 180gr or 165gr FMJ's. I'm saving the 200gr JHP's for something special.

As for the Witness series of pistols once you purchase a "Full Size Frame" pistol you can switch calibers by changing the slides and magazines. Now in the case of the 10mm/40cal. switch all I did was purchase a 40cal BBL and used the 10mm mags with no problems. However I did buy some 40cal mags anyway. I plan to purchase a 45acp set up and maybe a 22cal top end.

All in all I feel this pistol os quite a good deal for the money. I see them all the time on GB.com amd GA.com for under $550.00. G-Code makes poymer rigs for this 10mm and others and Haugen Handgun Leather made a Shoulder rig for my 10mm for less than a Galco or Bianci cost.

So IMO go with the 10mm or 45acp to start and then add the other calibers as you see fit.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:27 AM   #5
LarryFlew

Lot of conversions etc. One thing to watch for in Witness is that their "compact" line can be either large frame or small frame and as large frame there are many more conversions available. If that is something you are looking for make sure you are looking at large frame. All 45 and 10mm are large frame btw. I prefer their steel line but they do make a poly line also and have not had the pleasure to trying one. Have had a couple of the 45's in both full size and compact and really like them. Great addition to my CZ fetish

Add +1 for gunbroker as the Witness prices there seem to be really good. Have purchased a couple for $350 or less in 45. One was new full size with compensator for $350 including shipping and my FFL fees. Decided it was too big and sold it for over $400 locally but kept the 2 extra 10 rounds mags that came with it. One was like new compact 45 with ported barrel for the same price and will be a keeper forever. Both where silver wonderfinish which hold up very well.

Last edited by LarryFlew; October 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM.