The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 26, 2002, 08:30 AM   #1
Captain Bligh

Rifle scope

Could you please recommend some scopes that I should consider for a .22? Application would primarily be for squirrel hunting. I'd be putting this on a Ruger 10/22 for my teenager. I know little about rifles and less about scopes.

RJ
Old December 26, 2002, 09:44 AM   #2
M700

How much are you looking to spend? You may get more replys to this in the rifle forum.
Old December 26, 2002, 12:17 PM   #3
Captain Bligh

Generally if I'd post something like this in the rifle forum it would get moved to the accessories forum. It can be so confusing!

How much do I want to spend? I dunno. How much do I need to spend to get a decent quality scope?

RJ
Old December 26, 2002, 12:25 PM   #4

Cap: Scopes are are probably the firearm accessory that exhibit the biggest cost/benefit ratio. Scopes are precision optical instruments and unfortunately, precision optical instruments cost money. There are some decent bargins out there, but you definitely get what you pay for. To further complicate matters, most riflescopes out there, are designed and built for centerfire rifles. This means that the parallax is adjusted for a much greater distance than a scope designed for a .22. I will not offer any specific suggestions other than to say that I would be looking at something with a fairly large objective lens. In the thick woods, and in the first hours after daylight, you need all the light transmission you can get. Having a large objective lens will help. Having good lens coatings will also help transmit this light to the eye, and this is where the cheaper scopes fall short of the mark. Really good lens coatings that transmit the maximum amount of light are usually only found in the higher end scopes. All that being said, most any scope will work. It is just a question of long term reliability and how well the socpe will work.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.