The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
K-Minus

Extra shell carry?

Do you carry extra shells on your shotguns?If so,how?

I have an elastic shell holder on the stock of my 870.It was supposed to be a stand in for when I got a side saddle for the receiver but it's grown on me.
It's light,holds all five shells consistently,and I can still reach for a spare round easily.Didn't hurt that I bought it for $2.00 too!

So how do you carry spare ammo?
Old August 12, 2009, 02:38 PM   #2
balazona

I have a 25 shots Bandolier.
Old August 12, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Scubasimmons

I have the same thing. I love it for hunting. I really only need one extra in a hurry, but it's nice not to have to fumble in your shell vest when the shooting is hot.
Old August 12, 2009, 02:48 PM   #4
oneounceload

Would depend on the gun and purpose:
For HD, a sidesaddle is nice and secure; for hunting, a few extra in the vest; for targets, a box or two in the target vest pockets
Old August 12, 2009, 03:41 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Do you carry extra shells on your shotguns?If so,how?
YEP... I carry 5 spares loaded in the tube thingy under the barrel
If I need more than that, I just drop a handful in my pocket...
Brent
Old August 12, 2009, 04:43 PM   #6
BlackFeather

My HD shotgun has an elastic one as you stated and it holds 6 which is the max I can load in the gun. I dont keep it loaded most of the time however so the shells stay in the carrier. when I need them they are always on the gun. I plan on getting a plastic saddle later and having them both there...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 12, 2009, 04:49 PM   #7
greyson97

I have a 30 shot bandolier and a messengerbag i dump shells into

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 12, 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
zeke66

Quote:
YEP... I carry 5 spares loaded in the tube thingy under the barrel
If I need more than that, I just drop a handful in my pocket...
Brent
+1! I hate crap hangin' off'n a shotgun. If the above seems insufficient for the circumstances at hand, a shoulder/messenger bag nearby can be handy.
Old August 12, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
ActivShootr

I like bandoliers for duck hunting. Especially for wading or standing in water. You can hang them around your neck for carry and then hang them in or around a tree when you get set up.

If you are one of those tactical guys and must carry your extra ammo on the gun, the Mesa Side Saddle gets good reviews.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Kmar40

I've had side saddles but I don't like the way they screw up the balance of my shotguns. I now just use the simple buttcuff. The weight on the stock doesn't affect handling.

I don't like extended magazine tubes for the same reason. A shotgun should be handy but an 8 round tube and 5 or 6 on a side saddle certainly isn't handy.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:28 AM   #11
darkgael

extra

Quote:
it's nice not to have to fumble in your shell vest when the shooting is hot.
It must be nice to be in a situation that is busy enough that shells in a vest lead to fumbling.
Some of the grouse hunting days up on North Mt. in my part of PA, the average hunter sees about one bird an hour - or less. I've had more than one day when all the extra shells that I needed were in the left barrel of my SXS.
Pete
Old August 13, 2009, 09:00 AM   #12
cavediver27

4 round Tacstar

I have a 4 round Tacstar on my Remington 870 HD w/ 18' barrel and factory extended magazine and couldn't be happier with it. It holds the shells very secure and fits perfect. It has no effect on the balance of the gun and didn't require modifying anything.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Scubasimmons

darkgael - It is absolutely a sweet thing when the shooting is that good. However more often than not it isn't. Dove hunting a 2 years ago was like that. It also doesn't help that I'm not an ace shot, but just shooting is half the fun. When I choose not to use the elstic cuff it just comes off or remains empty.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:12 PM   #14
ebutler462

I bought a shell pouch from Walmart recently that I love. It has Remington's logo. It has three different pouches and you can wear like a belt or over your shoulder. It costs $13 and well worth it.
Old August 15, 2009, 04:48 PM   #15
juanveldez

me personally for my shotgun I just use a SAW pouch that is on my molle gear for extra rounds when I am shooting, however for my HD gun I am looking at getting a side saddle
Old August 15, 2009, 04:56 PM   #16
Superhouse 15

The drawback to shells on the buttstock, especially the plastic holders on the AR M4 style stocks is that the shells are on your cheek if you have to fire from your weak side shoulder. Maybe you have to shoot around cover or are injured, but firing the gun can literally break your face with the shells. I have seen people put slings on the gun with 20 or so rounds on elastic loops and they really make the gun swing back and forth. I use a good side saddle and a belt mounted holder from CCW:
CCW ammo holders

I prefer the 4 round one.

I have a friend who keeps a shell holder mounted near a piece of cover (a bookshelf) in his safe room. If he was taking a position of cover around it they would be close at hand. Great HD idea, I think.
Old August 15, 2009, 05:40 PM   #17
mp25ds4

you can get a shell "belt" at walmart for around 4 dollars, holds 25 shells, loosen it all the way up and it becomes a bandolier
Old August 16, 2009, 04:49 PM   #18
INMY01TA

I have a butcuff wich works well. I also have a sidesaddle which I've never installed.
Old August 16, 2009, 05:10 PM   #19
roy reali

Shell Types?

Are any of your spare shells loaded with Kyptonite projectiles? The person entering your residence might be from Krypton, standard materials would be ineffective.
Old August 16, 2009, 05:15 PM   #20
INMY01TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy reali
Are any of your spare shells loaded with Kyptonite projectiles? The person entering your residence might be from Krypton, standard materials would be ineffective.

Who asked about shell types? I believe the op asked about carrying spare ammo...
Old August 16, 2009, 05:24 PM   #21
roy reali

re:Inmy01TA

Quote:
Who asked about shell types? I believe the op asked about carrying spare ammo...
No one. But, as many shells as some seem to need, I figured that all options must be considered. If a dozen rounds from a shotgun doesn't stop an intruder, then different ammo must be considered. Consider this a public service.
Old August 16, 2009, 05:42 PM   #22
INMY01TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy reali
No one. But, as many shells as some seem to need, I figured that all options must be considered. If a dozen rounds from a shotgun doesn't stop an intruder, then different ammo must be considered. Consider this a public service.
I've never heard of a shotgun that holds a dozen rounds myself, send me a link, I'd be interested. People like to have ammo on hand for various reasons, not just self defense. Even still, not a bad thing.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:16 PM   #23
KCabbage

The butt cuff should do you well.

I have a 6-shot Tacstar sidesaddle on my Mossy which is alright. It hold the shells okay, but once you get ta' shootin' the shells can shift up and down a bit.
Activ was right on with the Mesa tactical sidesaddle. I just bought one of those for my incoming Rem Tac-2 and it blows my Tacstar saddle away. Theres a rubber insert in the Mesa saddle that should hold the shells much better than the Tacstar. The Mesa looks much more durable too, but for double the cost it better be.
Having the saddle attached might bother you at first, but I hardly notice mine anymore.

Theres also the Speedfeed stocks which can hold four in the buttstock. Even know the Rem Tac-2 comes with a pistol gripped Speedfeed I bought the pistol gripped III model that holds four shells.

Other than those, you can find bandalier(spelling ) slings and little clips that hold 5+ shells with a belt clip attached.

As far as the dozen round shotty goes...
My Mossy holds 5+1 plus 6 in the saddle for a total of 12.
My in transit Rem Tac-2 will hold 7+1 plus 6 in the saddle plus 4 in the buttstock for a total of 18
The Mesa saddle also comes in a 8 shot version as well, but a forend that doesn't reflex back over the receiver is needed.

Last edited by KCabbage; August 16, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:22 PM   #24
Edward429451

I have a 6 rnd sidesaddle and a Blackhawk cheekpad/buttcuff carrier that hols 5 more.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:56 AM   #25
flattop44

Love the "Speed Feed" stock that holds 4 extra rounds.