The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 19, 2012, 01:40 AM   #1
TheGoldenState

Zimmerman making for stricter gun laws.

Quote:
(CNN) -- Florida's governor will announce Thursday morning who will be part of a task force that will look at the state's gun laws in the aftermath of the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.
In March, as outrage was growing about the shooting, Gov. Rick Scott said that Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll would lead the task force but he would also take time to choose some of the other members.
"After listening to many concerned citizens in recent days, I will call for a Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection to investigate how to make sure a tragedy such as this does not occur in the future," Scott said at the time.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/19/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

Not sure if this update has been posted.

Hard to believe the GUN LAWS can/are being blamed.

What's that saying about one bad apple?
Old April 19, 2012, 02:34 AM   #2
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Hard to believe the GUN LAWS can/are being blamed.
I wouldn't say they are being blamed, but I would say they seem to be serving as a handy scape-goat.

Happens time and time again: something happens, public outrage (sometimes with, sometimes without media fanning the flames), and the authorities look for something to appease the masses. Roads, security, health, education: same trick can work for them all....

Most of the public in most countries are quickly satisfied with the appearance of action even if it does little to solve/address the initial issue.

Politicians will often go for the action that will catch the most headlines, not which is the most effective at correcting the problem, or even finding out if there is problem to start with... sometimes it is simply a case of s**t happens...

I think this is what is happening here: "look, look, people of Florida: we are doing something!!! Just don't spend too long thinking about what it is..."

I think the only gun related question I can think of is should Zimmerman be the kind of person running around with one, especially as a representative of safety in his community? Did he have the judgement for that role?

For me, that is a subject requiring scrutiny of Zimmerman and community watch procedure (for example should they always work in pairs, should video equipment be mandatory etc), rather than state-wide gun policy....
Old April 19, 2012, 02:57 AM   #3
shortwave

Quote:
What's that saying about one bad apple?
So you've already convicted Zimmerman?

Zimmerman ='s Bad apple?...

If you don't yet know all the facts and Zimmerman has not been convicted of any crime, how then do you(or anyone else) already label Zimmerman a 'bad apple'???

A percentage of the public has already labeled/convicted Zimmerman as a racist or 'a profiler with a mission' , but have not produced any credible facts for their claims. Actually, what I've seen thus far, IMO, shows the opposite.... so again, what facts do you have to suggest Zimmerman is a 'bad apple'?

Last edited by shortwave; April 19, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I agree that it is far too early to be appointing any task forces to study anything. Doing so suggests that something is broken and needs fixing. Unless the appointed prosecutor has shared with the governor facts that have not been nade public, at this point I'm still not even certain whether just prior to the actual scuffle Zimmerman was still stalking Martin, or if Martin had turned the tables and was stalking Zimmerman.

If anything needs to be fixed, maybe the law should be revised to provide that neighborhood watch members are not allowed to play cop. They should call in and then disengage. If Zimmerman had not disregarded the dispatcher's advice NOT to follow Martin, we wouldn't be having this discourse.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Sigasaurus Rex

I don't worry very much about this case affecting gun laws. Much greater atrocities have occurred (i.e. Columbine, VA Tech) with negligible after affects on the gun laws. This case will grab peoples' attention for awhile, and then it will be eclipsed by the next thing in the news cycle and will be forgotten. Except of course by the families of the parties involved.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Don P

I think the link provided states it all CNN news????????????

We folks here in FLA would have been better off if all the outsiders had stayed in there home states and NOT interfered. Justice still would have been served if all stayed away.
My question is this, the protesters got what they wanted, an arrest made. Now what happens if the outcome is NOT what the protesters wanted?????
Mistrial, acquittal

The anti-gun folks will grab every opportunity to pursue there mission, get ride of guns.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

There is a consensus among the moderators at TFL, that until we know the facts of the case, we are staying away from this.

So far, all we really have to go on are emotions, politics and abundant speculation.
Closed Thread