The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Bwbraven

Best 300 weatherby dies and loads

I have a 300 wby mag and an rcbs rock chukker single stage press I have the rcbs dies but not real impressed with them any one have a suggestion on a better one that fits my press? Load data I currently am loading 180 barnes tsx With around 78 grains of h4831. Any suggestions on improvement for either are greatly appreciated.
Old August 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

IT SEEMS TO ME you might be in dire need of a loading manual. AND whatever makes you think there are better dies than RCBS to use in the pride of the current RCBS loading presses, the ROCKCHUCKER ???
Old August 23, 2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Bwbraven

I have reloading manuals and went to barnes web site to get data for their bullets. The dies I'm using I have to run the case through at least two time to make them chamber the way they r supposed to thats the only reason I was wonderin if there was a better die for the 300 weatherby. I've had no issues with the other calibers I reload with rcbs dies.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:15 PM   #4
wncchester

On average, RCBS' dies and presses are as good as others of their general type, no better or worse. With any dies, if you have to run cases thru twice to make them chamber you are probably doing something wrong about die adjustment OR press operation.

Suggest you screw the sizer down another 1/16th turn (4.5 thou) and slow your press operation down, keep full pressure on the lever for a couple of seconds.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Bwbraven

I'll give it a try but I've had a guy that's been reloading 10+ years and numerous calibers that used these dies and had the same problem. His suggestion was to buy a competition full length die set.
Old August 23, 2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Doyle

Are your existing dies full-length or are they just neck-sizing dies? I agree with the previous post. If you are using full-length dies already then you need to crank them down another few thousanths.
Old August 23, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Bwbraven

Die box reads F L die set .300 wby mag, p/n 15201 group A ,shell holder #04
Rcbs brand