The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 15, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1
awpk03s

New Rifle - Stag 6L AR-15 Super Varminter

I recently made an executive decision to part ways with my AK-47 (but keep my SKS), and add another AR to my collection, this time a nice long/heavy bbl model. I've had my eye on Stag's 6L for awhile, and the stars aligned and now it's mine
The rifle has a 24" heavy stainless bull free floated barrel with 1/8 twist. It comes with a Hogue grip, and a 2 stage match trigger, in a very nice hard case with one 10 rd mag. For optics I mounted a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm w/BDC reticle on it, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the combination. This is the most expensive scope (and rifle) I've ever purchased, but I think both are worth it. I'm very much liking the 2 stage trigger on this rifle, definitely a nice feature to have included, and I think I may end up installing one on my other AR as well. The weather has not been very conducive to shooting much lately, but I did take it out and fire several mags through it to get the scope close. It shoots like a dream.... Stag claims 0.5 MOA accuracy, and I have to say I'd believe it. By and far this is the most accurate rifle I've ever fired. And I think it's a very nice compliment to my first AR. Here are some pics!

Stag 6L:

Stag 6L with friends (AR consisting of Stag 2HL upper on RRA lower, Magpul CTR & MIAD, Surefire X200A, quad rail fore-end; along with G19 & G21SF)

Old February 15, 2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Alleykat

Nice rig; similar to the varmint AR I built, using a Stag lower and RRA 20" varmint barrel and A-4 upper. One suggestion: Move those spare rounds around to the other side of the stock, where they belong! Come-to-think-of-it, unless you're loading rounds one-at-a-time, then what's the point of the extra rounds on the stock?
Old February 15, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3
armedtotheteeth

hop on over to cdnnsports.com and grab what you need for mags. i like the steel 20 rounders myself. with that bipod , the 30 rounders are a bit difficult to manage. Nice gun@!!
Old February 15, 2009, 06:52 PM   #4
awpk03s

I kept the rounds on the stock, just to have extra backup ammo, in a situation where I may be out hunting groundhogs and don't carry a bunch of extra mags. I do kind of have a weird thing for stock shell carriers though. Good call on the 20 rounders, I will definitely try CDNN if I can't find some 20 rd Pmags somewhere!
Old February 15, 2009, 07:48 PM   #5
armedtotheteeth

cdnn has everything, pmags, whatever, and cheap, Love those guys
Old February 16, 2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Alleykat

Quote:
I kept the rounds on the stock, just to have extra backup ammo, in a situation where I may be out hunting groundhogs and don't carry a bunch of extra mags.
But, but, but...you have them on the wrong side of the stock!!
Old February 16, 2009, 01:13 PM   #7
armedtotheteeth

unless hes a lefty!!
Old February 16, 2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Houndog

Yeah, I kind of did a double take of the picture when I first saw it. I know Stag makes left hand models, just don't think I've ever seen one. As someone who shoots southpaw myself, I've always been tempted to have them build me up a nice AR with the ejection port where it's supposed to be.

Looks like a great rig and it's tough to beat .5 MOA. I find that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for an inaccurate rifle. What's the point of me trying to do everything right and make each shot count if the best the rifle can do is 3 MOA?
Old February 16, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
armedtotheteeth

yeah, 3 moa is way out of tolerance for most of the hunting situations i find myself in. 100 yards is probably ok. Forget it out past that.