The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 15, 2007, 02:18 PM   #26
newarcher

In case, Groundhog's summation was too lengthy to read or someone wasn't there to read it for you, I will summarize....

BITE US

New
Old June 15, 2007, 02:22 PM   #27
David Armstrong

Quote:
I never said it would be a good thing to do....
And I don't believe I commented on your suggested tactic. You at least had the good sense to context your "run him over" concept within a few "maybe" qualifiers, which tended to me to indicate that you weren't that sure if it would be a good idea either. In fact, your "But I would not even consider to attempt a one-on-one against someone armed with a rifle. That is just suicidal and stupid" is one of the better comments, IMO. But that is quite different than what others have suggested.
Quote:
Just because I have never had a pistol in my face or snuck up on someone and shot them with my 1911 doesnt mean I shouldnt make an effort to nuetralize a public threat. Does it?
No, it doesn't, and I never suggested otherwise. My point is that some of these Rambo-esque fantasies are just that, fantasies, and that those with experience and training in some of these situations would realize that.
Old June 15, 2007, 02:31 PM   #28
ZeSpectre

I'm somehow picturing my dad's old hunting buddy and his "thutty-thutty". The problem is I can't decide if he's the nut on the overpass, or the guy who knocks the nut off at about 250 yards with that crapped up/beat up/grunged up .30-30 he always used.
Old June 15, 2007, 02:32 PM   #29
Creature

Experience may tell most of us that if you roll the dice enough, eventually you will come up snake eyes. But perhaps a sense of personal honor and courage (or shame from a lack thereof) is what pushes some of us out from under that bridge.

While some may also be correct in deeming a situation unacceptably dangerous and would do nothing, to me it all about what you do when no one is watching. This is what my father taught me about being a man and what courage is all about. It has served me well.

As active duty military, I have been in life threatening situations enough times to know how I react under stress and pressure. I also know enough to see that my involvment in this scenario will likely result in my being seriously injured or killed, but I have wrestled with that in my head enough times before to know that I should at least try. Even if only for my father's sake.
Old June 15, 2007, 02:39 PM   #30
Prophet

Quote:
Experience may tell most of us that if you roll the dice enough, eventually you will come up snake eyes. But perhaps a sense of personal honor and courage (or shame from a lack thereof) is what pushes some of us out from under that bridge.

While some may also be correct in deeming a situation unacceptably dangerous and would do nothing, to me it all about what you do when no one is watching. This is what my father taught me about being a man and what courage is all about. It has served me well.

As active duty military, I have been in life threatening situations enough times to know how I react under stress and pressure. I also know enough to see that my involvment in this scenario will likely result in my being seriously injured or killed, but I have wrestled with that in my head enough times before to know that I should at least try. Even if only for my father's sake.
Poetry
Old June 15, 2007, 02:39 PM   #31
newarcher

Well put creature!

Perhaps you engage the shooter for a long enough period that the police have time to respond or give the people pinned down in the wreckage time to seek better cover farther away. Perhaps you save 20 lives but lose yours.

I like the people who criticize others for thinking up scenarios and how they would react AS A FORM OF TRAINING. Perhaps I am soiling my pants under the bridge...perhaps I floor it...I dunno. But I know what is the right and honorable thing to do.

New
Old June 15, 2007, 02:41 PM   #32
David Armstrong

Quote:
David, everyone before you at least posted some version of what they would do or why. All you did was criticize their posts.
Actually, I did post two options that I would consider before I criticized their posts. Then I made an observation that suggested a lack of understanding of the reality of this type of situation on the part of some of the posters. Then, I criticized some of the comments in the post. So I would suggest your initial analysis is somewhat flawed.
Quote:
Not everyone here is experienced. Nor does everyone here give great care and thought to how they would handle a situation before posting how they would.
That is obvious. And I would suggest that not giving great thought to what one would do is not much of a defense.
Quote:
Perhaps it would be more beneficial to be educational in your responses rather than just throwing in a grenade like you know you did.
Perhaps. But I really don't have the time or the energy (nor do I think the forum wants it) to post a treatise on why a lone civilian attacking an entrenched sniper is problematic. I think I did educate--Don't call the police on your cell phone in the middle of a crisis and tell them the situation is under control and expect them to believe much of anything. Don't assume that you are going to be able to easily sneak up on an active shooter and take him out. Don't go hunting BGs. There are good reasons police handle shooting situations the way they do.

Skunk summed it up pretty well: "LOL Internet heros, you gotta love em." But I don't think you have to let them toss around concepts and ideas that are dangerous without challenging them.
I saw a quote on another thread that may be worth keeping in mind:
"Of course this all could change if I were actually there... and not talking out of my ass on the internet." Might be worth remembering.

My $.02.
Old June 15, 2007, 02:43 PM   #33
The Biker

Well, I've been called many things, but never a coward. I joined the Army Jan/2/1973 at the age of (barely) 17. After the Army I spent the next 25 years as a 1%er, bouncing in scooter bars part time and playing in bands much of the rest.

I've seen a thing or three and have a feel for how things go. This ain't Hollywood, people, and things don't usually go how you *want* them to.
You wanna get dead needlessly, rock on beavers, but don't down folks who know better.
It's unseemly and plain ol' not right.
All I gotta say...

Biker
Old June 15, 2007, 02:46 PM   #34
David Armstrong

Quote:
You wanna get dead needlessly, rock on beavers, but don't down folks who know better.
Well said.
Old June 15, 2007, 02:48 PM   #35
newarcher

I guess that is the difference between people armstrong....

You have people that stand around criticizing everyone else's ideas with their arms folded ....offering no realy solutions themselves....and telling everyone how it just won't work.

Then you have the people that go into harm's way and do what is right because it is the right thing to do.

Point Du Hoc comes to mind and I believe I know which variety showed up that day and which variety didn't.

Nuff said.

New
Old June 15, 2007, 02:50 PM   #36
ohioleadslinger

UGGG ME RIGHT YOU WRONG
UGGG ME BRAVE YOU COWARD
Pi**ing contest are boring and quite often your feet get wet and stink.

Done with reading this thread, it's degenerated in to flame broil..
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old June 15, 2007, 03:04 PM   #37
David Armstrong

Quote:
I guess that is the difference between people armstrong.
Yes, I guess that is right. The difference is between internet hero-types and those who have BTDT. The leadslinger has got it right, p***ing contests serve no good end and apparently you are more concerned with trying to insult me and toss flames than justify an action that most professionals are laughing at. You may have the last word. Let me know when you have some experience or training, then maybe we can have an educated discussion on this rather than the flame-fest.
Old June 15, 2007, 03:20 PM   #38
pax

Sorry it took me so long to get here, folks.

Thread closed, for all the obvious reasons.

A disgusted pax
Closed Thread