The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 3, 2014, 07:53 PM   #1
campbed

Winchester 9422 advice

Team,

I have the opportunity tomorrow to travel and have first shot at a 9422 22 (s/l/lr).

92% condition, included scope, $525.

Question 1 - need some advice on how to inspect the rifle. I'm a noob. Is it customary to be able to field strip the rifle and inspect the internals?

Question 2 - Does $525 sound like a fair deal? You know as much as I do about the rifle. I've bid on a few 9422's on Gunbroker, but lost all of those bids with winners going for $700 plus.

Thanks for any advice.
Old September 3, 2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Wyosmith

If it is not rusty and in good shape mechanically I would gladly pay $525 for it.
Take a rod with you to push a patch through the bore and inspect it. If the bore is good, pay the man!
Old September 4, 2014, 05:19 AM   #3
az_imuth

Yes, $525 is a good price on a 9422 without even considering a scope, as long as it is in very good condition. Pick up a borelight or a small flashlight before you go. Open the action and have a good look at the bore. Run your hand along the length of the barrel to detect any bulges, which aren't too uncommon with rimfires. If all checks out and there isn't an issue with the wood/metal finish, then you've got yourself a good deal on a great rifle.

Most importantly, don't forget to come back and post some pics after you pick it up.
Old September 4, 2014, 11:51 AM   #4
bamaranger

used rifles

There's whole pages written on buying used rifles. As a rule of thumb, exterior appearance is a good start. If the rifle has been abused,/neglected on the outside, the inside has likely seen little care as well. Not always, but a place to start.

Striping a 9422 is liable to be involved and complex, if anything like a '94.

Open the action (11th Commandment), hold the rifle by the muzzle, and the butt towards a light, or get a bore light, and inspect the bore. Rifling should by very apparent, and the bore ought to shine like a mirror. You might run a patch or pull through first, as there is always the chance of dust or the rifle was put up dirty/shot.

Look at the crown, check for obvious deformities.

I think I'd try to "push off" the external hammer while cocked, , NOT HARD, but a slight nudge or two. It should hold at cocked.

I'd shoot and cycle it if the seller would allow, sometimes ya can't do that of course.

The 9422 are gems, quality high, and have developed a collector interest. I've always wanted one in .22 mag. In VG condition, I'd say $525 is about the going price. I'd offer 500 and see it they bit.