The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Wheel-Gunner

Rear Sight Attachment Screw for 686-5

Hello,

I just recently purchased a used 686-5, and the original owner had a scope on the revolver. I have no interest at all in the scope (which I will be selling on Ebay), but he no longer had the rear sight for the gun. So I ordered a rear sight assembly from Brownells. Well, I got it in the mail today and there was no attachment screw included. So now I am on the hunt for a screw. In the following schematic it is part #19 I believe:

Does anyone have any idea where to get that screw from? It this something that a local gun shop might have lying around somewhere. I did a product search on Brownells, and there are a bunch of screws that come up. If I have to order one from them (wish I would have done so with the rear sight to save on shipping), which of the following is the one I need:

smith and wesson screw rear sight at Brownells

Could I call S&W? Would they just send me a screw? Any insight here would be appreciated guys. Thanks!
Old February 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Viper225

Go direct to Smith & Wesson.
I ordered a couple side plate screws a while back from them.

Bob
Old February 14, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Could I call S&W? Would they just send me a screw?
Yes and yes, most likely for free. FWIW S&W has never charged me for anything that would have cost less than ~$25, although YMMV.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Sevens

A side bar tangent that does not help you (sorry!) but I don't understand people that do stuff like this.

Yeah, not every guy keeps the original box, wax paper, unused cleaning rod and furry mop in the box, but I think it's ridiculous that some previous owner would take off such a key part and then forget about it, lose it, or simply not bother to forward it with the handgun when he's grown tired of it.

Yes, there are many other scenarios also, but it's still annoying to me.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Wheel-Gunner

Quote:
I think it's ridiculous that some previous owner would take off such a key part and then forget about it, lose it, or simply not bother to forward it with the handgun when he's grown tired of it.
I completely agree (I would never even think about doing such a thing), BUT it is a HUGE bargaining chip for the buyer. With the price I paid for this revolver, it doesn't bother me a bit that he lost it!
Old February 14, 2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Sevens

...and I can see that you & I think along VERY similar lines!

This is similar to why I really like a gun that looks a little beat-up. If it runs 100%, I'm on that deal like white on rice, using all that UGLY to bring it home at a good price and give it all the shooting love it deserves.

Nicely played!
Old February 15, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Wheel-Gunner

Just called S&W. They are sending me the screw for free. What excellent customer service!!