The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1
KnightofCydonia

Purchased a Mossberg 500A

Hi guys,

So I sold my Remington 870 Express back in March because I wasn't a big fan of the finish. The gun worked well and fit me well and was reliable, but the rough gritty sand blasted finish tore up my gun rags and was annoying for me to clean/oil.

Today, I received my Mossberg 500A in the mail. It's the wooden field version, standard. I picked it up, and was impressed by how light and compact it felt compared to the 870. The stock LOP feels shorter and the girth of the stock is thinner I believe. Furthermore, being a southpaw, the ergos were convenient for me, especially the tang safety. I also like the blued finish, it's smooth and appears to be decently applied. The wood stock is nicer than the photos as it shows some grain, and the checkering is much more tactile than that of my previous Express 870.

I just learned how to disassemble and reassemble it, and this process is more detailed than an 870, but after the second time, I had it memorized and performed it flawlessly. My only complaint is that the magazine follower is not too visible, so I swapped it with a orange DuPont Delrin mag follower, which solved that.

The action out of the box is rough and clunky, but I'm not too worried because that will resolve itself with shooting and lube.

The twin beads on the barrel are a nice feature, and it helps with checking alignment.

The recoil pad is a lot stiffer in my opinion than what they put on the Express, but I doubt it'll make too much of a difference.

Nice benefits include 3 chokes, modified was already in the barrel, and a gun lock. Mine didn't come with any extra stickers except for the Mossberg one that's on the stock already. Is it supposed to?

Other than that, I really like how the shotgun is put together. I like the Remington 870, and plan to rebuy one, but next time it will be a used Wingmaster.

Having owned both, I recommend, get BOTH!
Old May 10, 2010, 08:38 PM   #2
rdmallory

Thanks for the write up I am looking at the 590A1.

Doug
Old May 10, 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
zippy13

Congratulations!
The wood stock and two-bead barrel were a good choice. You really did your homework before selecting this one. Now, get out there and break-in that action.
Sorry, I don't have a clue about the stickers. You didn't buy it for the stickers, did you?
Old May 17, 2010, 03:43 AM   #4
DHart

Knight... I really like Mossberg's blued finish. Both my 500A Persuader 18.5" and 590 have blued steel. Easy to clean and care for. Looks great. My well used 500A is beginning to show some nice wear on the bluing, which I love.

Even though it's durable and protects well, I'm not a fan of the coarse parkerized finish myself either. I love 'em blued!