The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
justplainpossum

Wow, that was weird

Was listening to CBS radio news, and they were talking about the man from Colorado who was wanted for killing the head of prisons, and the second sentence was "he was killed with Hornady bullets", and then the newsman read the Hornady company slogan. It sounded pretty much like they were blaming Hornady for the man's murder. It's getting weirder and weirder, isn't it?
Old March 22, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
TXAZ

Slow news day or slanted news.
Or both.

Best thing you can do is not watch them, and realize Walter Cronkite has turned over in his grave.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 22, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Newton24b

i guess its not what the man was killed with, its really who did the killing.

ovbiously the parole board that let the killer out of prison didnt really have the ability to determine "is prisoner going to kill someone upon release?"
Old March 23, 2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Doc_DAK

I think it was more about the fact that a 9mm Hornady case was found at the crime scene in CO, and at least one Hornady 9mm case was found in the car that crashed in TX. Not exactly probable cause to think he was the killer until comparisons are run on the hulls, but it puts a checkmark on the reasonable suspicion list.

I believe the car in TX was a Cadillac, and they were looking for a Caddy in CO. He was believed to have killed a Domino's Pizza driver, too, and a Domino's insulated case was found in the crashed car. Still not a "smoking gun," but ratcheting up.

That was what I saw on CNN, and nobody seemed to be blaming Hornady any more than they were blaming Cadillac or Domino's. I did note they all kept pronouncing it "HornaDAY."
Mainstream Media: mostly speculation and hot air.

Another parolee who never should've been let out.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:31 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

Are any Hornady ammo case actually headstamped "Hornady?" The few rifle (.30-06) and handgun (.44 mag) cases I have recovered from my Hornady ammo were headstamped "Frontier". Usually the newsies do not research enough to know that Frontier was an ammo brand from Hornady and still used for its headstamps. But maybe some of their ammo is the Hornady headstamp?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 23, 2013, 06:30 AM   #6
cvc944

I have some .308 Winchester Match brass head-stamped Hornady. It surprised me to see it, because all of my other Hornady brass is stamped Frontier.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:16 AM   #7
jmr40

Hornady's better quality ammo is in brass is stamped "Hornady". Their budget lines are stamped "Frontier". I have no idea if there is any real difference, but they make it both ways.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:25 AM   #8
KMAX

Were they the Super Assault Bullets?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old March 23, 2013, 09:09 AM   #9
skimbell

The MSM did the same thing with the Newtown shooting. For days they kept saying Lanza used a Bushmaster .223 as though that was a new type of assult weapon.
I wonder if there is a difference among the talking heads when a DUI criminal is driving a Ford as opposed to a BMW?
Old March 23, 2013, 10:17 AM   #10
wuluf

Quote:
The MSM did the same thing with the Newtown shooting. For days they kept saying Lanza used a Bushmaster .223 as though that was a new type of assult weapon.
I wonder if there is a difference among the talking heads when a DUI criminal is driving a Ford as opposed to a BMW?
Ford's a car.
BMW's an assault car...
Old March 23, 2013, 11:17 AM   #11
Strafer Gott

Fire and Fagetabotit for sure. I'm sold on them. They sent me some XTPs when I bought a die set. Now I'm hooked.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
justplainpossum

No, they said that "the bullets used were Hornady, whose corporate slogan is Accurate, Deadly, Dependable". The implication was in this murder, the bullets were indeed what the slogan said they were; it had nothing to do with ballistics. I listened to the report again at the top of the hour, in case I heard it wrong. I didn't.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Possum, I didn't hear this report, but from your description, it sounds like the CBS newsreader was implying that we'd all be better off if ammunition were "Inaccurate, Ineffective, and Unreliable."

Sheesh.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:09 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

I have some Hornady ammo that is headstamped "Hornady".

If its on the news, it must be true, I read that on the Internet!

I heard on the news the other day that SALT kills one in ten Americans!

We are dying by the millions from all these A SALT WEAPONS!!!!

It must be true, I heard it on the news!.......