The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
H.W. French

C&B At The Box office "The Raven"

Didn't want to hijack deerslayer's thread but it looks like there will be some more C&B action in the theatres this year in addition to Van Damme. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3017455360/tt1486192
It'll be interesting to see how period correct they are considering Poe died around '49. But what the heck it's Cusack.
Old April 18, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Hardcase

It's sure hard to tell from the angle, but it could be a Walker or a Dragoon. It looks to me like the barrel is round and I don't see the "swoopy" design of the 1860. Also, the "knobby" link of the loading arm is Walkery or Dragoonish.

The only hitch is that it seems kind of small, unless John Cusak has big hands. And a Walker or Dragoon in the hands of a civilian before 1849 seems unlikely to me.

But, hey, at least they don't have him loading up a Peacemaker.
Old April 18, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Cusack is 6'3"

So his hands might be assumed to be on the large side.

Still I think it is a Navy. If you look at the muzzle there is a lot of bulk in the barrel walls. Like you would see in a .36. Sight appers a little smallish.

I could be wrong. I frequently am.
Old April 18, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Hawg

It's a 49 pocket. Look at the pic of him running.
Old April 18, 2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Beagle333

'Nother vote for '49 pocket.
Old April 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

I think Hawg's got it

I went to the site, watch the trailers and stopped it when the pistol is being shown.

I wish I knew how to load the images to the forum but there is a shot of Cusak on a horse approaching the camera. Cusak pulls the pistol with his right hand and fires over his left arm. Pistol is definitely small enough to be a 49.

In another shot, the pistol is fired at the camera but it is much closer than the shot in the photo in the first post. I fiddle with the contrast and the pistol looks like a five shot. Also definitely an octagon barrel.

In the third image Cusack lays the revolver on a map of the southeastern U.S. Appears too small to be anything but a Pocket.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Hardcase

Guess it's time for me to get new glasses!
Old April 20, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
smokepole14

From the picture the loading lever seems very short or at least to me. I'm gonna go with a 49 pocket or maybe a sheriffs pocket navy. That's what it looks like to me.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Bill Akins

I'd say it's a .49 pocket too. As the OP said Poe died in 1849, it shouldn't really be a '49 pocket in the movie to be historically correct. Unless Poe bought a brand new '49 pocket the same year he died and was being very physical and using it the same year he died. Makes more historical timeline sense that he would be using a single shot or a '36 Paterson. But that's movie writers and prop masters for ya.

If you REALLY want to see artistic license taken regarding historically accuracy in firearms depiction by movie studios, check this pic out......

The Wayne movie "The Fighting Kentuckian" was set just after the battle of New Orleans in 1814. But check out this poster for a super 8 version of the movie of the Duke firing both barrels of a double barreled sawed off shotgun and his 1873 peacemaker at the same time. Anyone here ever fired both barrels of a double barreled sawed off shotgun with one hand much less did that with one hand while firing a peacemaker with the other hand at the same time? Lol.

Notice the dead guy laying on the ground had a 1873 peacemaker too. Uh huh, 1873 peacemakers in a movie set in 1814. ROFL. At least it was only on that one inaccurate drawing advertising for a super 8 version of the movie. They didn't use peacemakers or double barreled shotguns in the actual movie itself. One thing about revolutionary war and war of 1812 movies, at least they couldn't have the actors shooting those 50 round revolvers that never needed reloading. Lol.

And remember some of the actors who would raise their revolver barrels in the air and then very quickly snap them down and snap shoot just as fast as the gun became horizontal without even taking aim? (usually in 1930's/'40's era Republic pictures and the like. I remember Guinn "Big boy" Williams doing that in several movies) And of course they usually hit someone. Lol. Tickles me.

Also in "The Raven" check out this pic of Luke Evans I enlarged, cropped and brightened. Look carefully at his belt and buckle in the below pic where it is supposed to be 1849....

Extreme closeup....

Looks just like this 1912 Calvary pistol belt and buckle doesn't it? Not only that, look carefully at the stitching on the right of Evan's belt, or to Evans it would be on the left side of his belt, just a few inches to HIS left of his buckle. Notice the three short lengths of stitching in the middle section of his belt there? Now notice the exact same three short lengths of stitching in the middle section on the below belt. The three short lengths of stitching is in the exact same place on both belts. I believe they used this below 1912 repo Calvary belt (or one just like it minus the grommets) in the movie set in 1849.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 21, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old April 21, 2012, 06:32 AM   #10
mykeal

In the interest of accuracy, it's 'cavalry'.
Old April 21, 2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Hawg

It's not the same buckle and FWIW it's a sword buckle.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
MJN77

They had the same type of "spoon and wreath" belt buckles before the Mexican war. This is a link to repros of ACW buckles. Notice four different "spoon" buckles.
http://www.toombslighting.com/catalo...19/3623714.htm
This type of buckle was used through WW2.