The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Hardcase

Uberti 1860

Perused the local classifieds and saw a fella selling a few revolvers. An Uberti 1860 in that "antique" finish caught my eye. He wanted $200, I offered $175 and we did the deal. XXV date code is 1969, right?

Sorry for the iPhone picture, my real camera is at work. And it's snowing like there's no tomorrow (which very well may be possible if it keeps going like this!), so no chance of shooting for a while...
Old November 30, 2010, 09:42 PM   #2
joe sixgun

Very nice piece. I am thinking about getting one of those myself. Now , I may be a little spoiled, but even though I live in michigan, I can still shoot year round. Awesome covered porch on the back of the house, overlooks my firing range.
Old November 30, 2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Hawg

Yes XXV is 69. Very nice.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Hardcase

Alas, Joe, if I shoot off my back porch, I'll put a hole in my neighbor's fence. That's the curse of living in the 'burbs. The indoor range won't let me shoot black powder and the outdoor range doesn't have a cover.

So I'll just sit and stare at it. The snow's supposed to turn into rain tomorrow, so maybe by Sunday things will dry out. The cold I can deal with. The sloppy mess, not so much!
Old December 1, 2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Nice move Hardcase...

Hows the bore?
Old December 1, 2010, 10:42 AM   #6
junkman_01

Hardcase,

For $179 you could have gotten a new Pietta '60 from Cabelas.....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...%3FN%3D1100201
Old December 1, 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Hardcase

Doc, the bore looks like the gun has never been fired.

Junkman, I've got a couple of the Pietta 1860s from Cabelas and they're nice guns that I shoot a lot. But the action, fit and finish on this Uberti is in a completely different world from them. I was completely taken aback when I cocked the hammer...I've never felt a single action pistol as smooth and precise. I believe that I could get the Piettas into that sort of shape with some time, though.
Old December 1, 2010, 01:02 PM   #8
sltm1

Hardcase, how much snow have you got? We're about 10" in Weiser. By the way, there's a bp shoot in Durkey this Saturday. If you're interested send me a PM.
Old December 1, 2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Hardcase

Looks like about 8" east of Boise, and still coming down. I'd love to come out to the shoot, but I've got tickets to the BSU game and I bleed Bronco blue! Looks like I'm going to be out of the shooting business until after Christmas, darn it!
Old December 7, 2010, 04:24 PM   #10
bprevolver

Early Uberti 1860 Army

I am glad to know about the date of this 1860 Army. I have been trying to determine what year Uberti actually started making the 1860 Army. So far 1969 seems to be it. Pietta started supplying Navy Arms somewhere in the 1960's. Navy Arms Serial #0001 and 0002 made by Pietta sold a few months back on Gun Broker for around $1500. I have been trying to get the date code from these from the seller without much luck.
Old December 7, 2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Hardcase

bprevolver, if it helps you at all, the SN of mine is A50xx.
Old December 10, 2010, 10:47 PM   #12
TnRebel

I paid $175.00 for this one .. so you did good .

SCV=Video http://www.scv.org/video/php