The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 17, 2011, 01:08 AM   #26
birdshot

Check with the Navy base special services. If they do not have a relationship with a local range they might start one if they see there is an interest. I used to shoot skeet on the base in Subic Bay. Special Services supplied the gun and paid for my ammo. I remember it costing two bucks a round, and that was the recommended tip for the guy who loaded the traps and pulled.

also i know a guy who keeps a collectable pistol in a pawn shop because he did not trust a member of his family. he explained the pawn shop had good insurance and a nice safe. he pawned the gun for 25 dollars and paid the minimun fee to keep it in pawn.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:59 AM   #27
jhenry

I was not the armorer. I was however the alternate armorer simply to have something different to do once in awhile ie. when the primary was on leave or ill or something. We inventoried every weapon and all ammo every shift. As for the privately owned weapons, of which there were many, we had a locked cage with nice racks for long guns, and cubbies for handguns. These were also inventoried and were the responsibility of the armorer. When someone wanted their firearm they just checked it out and then checked it back in. Initial ownership on base was registered with the individuals commander, who could revoke the privilege if it was abused. I can not envision some commander wanting to personally sign off at every turn, but who knows. Probably the go to person to ask would be the First Sergeant. I would lay wages that this would not be the first time he has fielded this question. Good luck.

Tags
armory , barracks , hawaii , legal , military