The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 1999, 12:12 PM   #1
Nestor Rivera

Any body know were I can get a set of .22/30 carbine dies both forming and reloading ?
thanks .
Old May 8, 1999, 04:20 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

Either RCBS or Redding should be able to provide you with dies on a special order basis. The 5.7mm Johnson or .22 Spitfire (same thing/different name) was the most common version among the .22/.30 Carbine wildcats; however, be aware that certain variations exist that will not interchange with the 5.7mm Johnson Spitfire. RCBS has the other variations on file and will custom make the dies to your rifle's specs.

Is your firearm one of the Universal or Iver Johnson M1 Carbines factory chambered in 5.7mm Johnson, or is it a custom job? If the later, I'm curious as to the gunsmith who did the work. A real "Who's Who" of gunsmiths offered .22/.30 Carbine wildcats during the 1960s: Mel Johnson, Dick (.454) Casull, P.O. Ackley, et al. The wildcat may even undergo a renaissance as Israel Arms, Inc. (IAI) tries to reintroduce 5.7mm Johnson M1 Carbines along with a source of factory ammunition. I like to think of it as a rimless .22 K-Hornet or .218 Bee suitable for a semi-auto varmit zapper, but others have made comparisons to the 5.7x28mm FN PDW cartridge.