The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
ragwd

Gun show primers

I went to a local gun show at the county fair grounds held 7 or 8 times a year. Super busy, a outside line to get in, in 3 years of going never seen a line to get before, oh well sign of the times I guess. I am new to reloading so besides slobbering all over the pistols I was there to get some reloading supplies. I found 1 box of 1000 winchester large pistol primers for $37. Everyone I asked had the same story," I have them on order, don't know when I will have them in, but when I do I will bring them." Will this get better? The local Gander mountain has the same thing. Is it just fear hording or is there a short supply? I have noticed quite a few "new to reloading postings". More people loading chasing the same supply? Will supply catch up ?
Old February 15, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
wncchester

"The local Gander mountain has the same thing. Is it just fear hording or is there a short supply?"

The shortage is "real", due to several things, but the biggest is the HOARDING! It's the "Y2K" mentality at work, a rational fear of BO. But, even HE and his panderers won't be able to spring anything on us suddenly so I THINK things will slack off when the hoarders shelve are sagging enough.

Gander's prices are crazy, typically 50% more than others for the same items! You need to find a better source of supply anyway, if you can. And almost anyone else is better! Well, gun show dealers are typically vastly overpriced too. Find some local dealer if you can and deal with them instead.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Luke

I hear ya'. I am new to reloading as well and getting components is difficult.
I was at the gun show in Vallejo yesterday. I was the third guy in the door and it was a straight rush to the bulk ammo dealer. My first time buying ammo at a gun show and a lesson was learned. Don't do a lap around the counter to see what the got. I was waiting for about a half an hour when I finally got picked. 1500 rounds of winchester 45 acp and some small pistol primers. The only small pistol primers they had was wolf so I only got a thousand of them cause I don't know if they're any good or not. I don't know for sure about the scarcity of components but I'll go out on a limb and say it is panic buying and should (I hope) subside.
Luke
Old February 15, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
orionengnr

At our local gun shows (just went to one today) Winchester primers are $27-30 depending on pistol, rifle, Magnum, etc.

Availability is still good but buying is at high levels. We have gun shows just about every weekend, and I hit most of them. As a result, I am on a first name basis with a number of vendors. Each confirms that the "unsustainable" level of buying that has been going on since October or so is being sustained week in, week out. They literally have a hard time replenishing during the course of the day, and have to go back to the shop to re-stock for the next day.

It is a really good time to be an ammo seller of any type at all. That includes sellers of components.

Last edited by orionengnr; February 15, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:59 PM   #5
ComradeBurg

As wncchester said try to find a local non chain gun shop. Not only are their prices generally much better but they often have more hard to get things in stock. The reasoning here I believe is that most people head to a place like Gander Mountain because that's the big store that they know of. Hence they will be sold out of stuff instantly.

There are two smaller gun shops here that I deal with most of the time. One specializes in reloading specifically. I was able to find primers no problem and reloading dies for my .308 that nobody else had in stock. When I talked to him he said currently the main difference for him is that he has to order things in so there is a couple day wait for many items.

The same situation with the other gun store. He had some mil-spec primers in and a good amount of .45 ACP ammunition (hard to find recently).

Most of these smaller gun shops also haven't jacked their prices up nearly as much as places like Gander. Of course they have to pay more to the suppliers so they are charging more then they did before but not 1.5 times as much.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Steviewonder1

Primers, Powder, and Lead

I have an established relationship with a very good Gun Store in the Atlanta, Ga., area for the last 30+ years. I have called them recently about supplies and they told me when Primers and powder arrive so I can be there right after the shipment arrives. They keep a good supply of lead. The last shortage I had was in the 90's. After that I have my powder types down to 2 and primer brands down to 1. I only load pistol rounds. I have tons of .223. This keeps things simple on the shelf and underneath in the locker.

Good Luck Loading and Shootin'
Steviewonder1