The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1
woodysan

.375 winchester?

I have just purcased a Model 94 .375 cal. rifle,it looks like reloading is the only cost effective way to shoot this shell. My question is do I need to order a crimp die? Presently I am not crimping my 30.06 and .270 shells used in our bolt action rifles-but this is a lever action in the .375,not sure here. A little help fellow shooters,please,also what about my 30.30 model 94-crimp? or no. Not reloading 30.30 yet but will start soon. I need some advice about powder for .375,I do not have any powders listed in my Lee's or Lymans manuals for this caliber. one comment my reloads for the 30.06 are much better grouped over factory ammo by a large margin-this is good,my son and I are very pleased. using his new model 70. thanks ahead, Woody
Old September 13, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The reason for crimping lever gun ammo is recoil pushes against all the rounds in the magazine back at once, which can stack up to a good bit of inertia pushing bullets deeper into the cases. Rounds fed from a box magazine or a removable magazine don't see nearly that much push. So crimping them is a good idea for that safety reason.

The Lee Factory crimp die works fine in this application. You can also use the crimp ring built into your seater die. If you want to use the crimp ring in the seater die you have, but avoid scraping copper off the bullet with the case mouth, seat the bullets with no crimp, back the seater ram out and adjust the die body to crimp as a separate operation. If the die you have is a Lee dead length seater from the deluxe die set, then it has no crimp ring and getting the factory crimp die separately would be a good plan.

OK. Scratch that last sentence. Lee doesn't make a Deluxe die set for this chambering.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 13, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Loader9

I'd give the Hornaday 220gr FP bullet a look. I've decked hogs 2 men couldn't move with that bullet. RE 7 is yer friend and a max load of it will get ya about 2200'ps. Accuracy tops any other powder/bullet combo out of the three I have. The 375 Win. is probably the most under rated cartridge out there. Now if only I could find a NIB Marlin 375!
Old September 14, 2010, 08:18 PM   #4
zeke

Would recommend the Lee factory crimp die, especially for essentially straight walled rifle rounds. Also would recommend the Lee sizing die for lever rounds (especially the 375 winchester), as it does not seem to "undersize" the lever rifle rounds. Nothing like trimming that thick 375 brass back considerably after sizing it with a redding sizer die.

RL 7 for accuracy, 1680 for velocity.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:34 PM   #5
DANNY-L

I have a marlin in 375win and I always use my seater die to crimp,no problems so far. I use hornady 220gr and rel. 7 this cartridge has blown deer completly out of thier trail with authority.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
TXGunNut

My log indicates my Big Bore likes 38gr RL #7 under a 220gr Hornady bullet held in place by a moderate crimp. RCBS die crimped adequately for me. Never scoped the gun but accuracy seemed quite good, more than adequate for the close-up hunting work I bought it for. Eyes were much younger then. Still have the rifle but it's an honest 98+% gun and value goes up every year.
WW factory ammo was a bit disappointing but don't recall any details. Reloading a good plan. Buy the brass while you can still find it!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

my 375 is a 14" Contender, & yep reloading is probably your only real option... & as explained already, I'd want a good crimp on a hard kicking tube mag gun... ( BTW... with reasonably hot loads, my 375 Contender actually kicks more than my 45-70 Contender )
Old September 15, 2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Sarge

Those things are no good, woody. They are mutant 94's, they kick harder than they need to and you can't buy shells at walmart. I'm feeling charitable today so I'll give you a hunnerd dollars sight unseen, to help take the sting out of your bad luck.

Seriously... the .375 bring serious thump to the 94 platform. Congratulations on your find. Check Hodgdon's online database for good loads.