The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2014, 11:39 PM   #1
rdtompki

Using Bullets from Different Manufacturers

I've been able to track down some WST powder and have found a Lyman listing for Berry's FP plated/180gr with WST. I have Xtreme 180gr plated FP bullets. I don't have the bullet dimensions off hand, but if I take seating depth and OAL into account is it reasonable to do such a substitution?

Understand the volume material might not be the same from the two manufacturers, but I don't know how critical that is for two plated bullets if dimensional differences are taken into account.
Old October 25, 2014, 05:56 AM   #2
Snyper

There's seldom any problem is switching brands as long as the weights, materials and general profiles are the same or at least close
Old October 25, 2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Shotgun Slim

The Extreme bullets are sized to .400 and the other .40 bullets I have used are from .401 to .4015 so you should be ok to substitute. As always,though, especially if you are loading heavy,it would be prudent to back off the powder a bit and work up. I have had very good success with Extreme bullets as have several of my shooting friends. I don't know if the smaller diameter has anything to do with it but load for load those bullets have a softer recoil sensation-if you want to load down to power factor for IDPA in your .40 the Extreme 180 is great for that. Do that and she may find she can shoot your .40 better than her 9-it's happened before.
Old October 25, 2014, 07:38 AM   #4
rdtompki

Thanks all for the quick responses. Yes, I'm going to load down so I'll be starting at the bottom and just increase in the event of a cycling issue. I'm just getting started and will be taking my time getting the press going including a bunch of cycling without powder.
Old October 25, 2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Shotgun Slim

Once you get started some of the fun will be finding nice light loads that are comfortable and accurate. No need for fire-breathers if you shoot a lot. One thing that the 9mm crowd I shoot with (yes there are still some of those kind of people) agrees on is the 147 gr bullet gives a more comfortable and controllable recoil sensation. You would think that a lighter bullet in any given caliber would do better but it seems not. Just a thought. Enjoy your hobby and safe shooting.
Old October 25, 2014, 02:47 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...No need for fire-breathers if you shoot a lot...." Absolutely.
You load for the bullet weight, not who made it or its shape.