The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
AdamSean

Rainy Day Training

I was really wanting to head to the range today, But I was rained out. I decided to make a new rainy day training tradition. I recently bought some snap caps so I think I will work on reloads and clearing malfunctions. Something that I don't work on enough. The goal is to be able to quickly reload without having to take my eyes off target. I can also work on weapon presentation and some dry fire activities.

What other training can I do indoors?
Old December 16, 2012, 04:10 PM   #2
kraigwy

Since few people cancel matches because of rain, why do people cancel training because its raining?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3
AdamSean

Because the road to the range is closed, that's why.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
pax

Read.

Meditations on Violence and Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected by Rory Miller

The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry and In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob

Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper

What Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Self-Defense Law by Marty Hayes (free booklet, available online at http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/...ayes-SDLaw.pdf)

The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird

Into the Kill Zone by David Klinger

Lots more out there. Most of the above can be downloaded to read instantly.

pax
Old December 16, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
ltc444

What is it the DI used to say. It never rains on the range. Bit according to some posters it may flood the pits.

Last edited by ltc444; December 16, 2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add comment
Old December 16, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
Because the road to the range is closed, that's why.
That's a good reason.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Dave P

Kraig, this doesn't look too bad, but the Port Malabar range was super soggy for a couple of week after TS Fay (2008). We pumped and pumped for a long time to drain it all. Something like 10" of rain.

First pic is about the 200 yard line, looking toward the 6oo line. You can kinda see the water on both sides of the road to the pits.

The bridge photo of the canal (going into the range): usually the water is about 15 feet lower
Old December 17, 2012, 07:59 AM   #8
ltc444

Kraigway I know about the pits at Camp Robinson. Qualified there on a number of occasions.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Viper225

You could also work on using cover when doing weapon presentation indoors.

I have seen our range under water twice in the last 32 years I have been on the Board of Directors. Ours will be drained off in a matter of hours. I would go nuts having it covered in water for two weeks. Our problem with flooding is the Trap Houses going under water. Big Potentially Expensive Problem. We now run a dozer down the dry creek bed every few years to get the debris out. This stopped the Range flooding problem.

I have never seen the grass that tall on our range either. I have had to mow the range twice in about a week however.

Shooting in the rain might not be all bad. We had a drizzle coming down a while back during a 600 yard F Class Match. No Mirrage, and No Wind. We had our first 300 with 23 X's shot on the range that day. We do have a nice covered shooting line, so the shooters were not getting wet. The target crew were the only ones getting wet that day.

Bob
Old December 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
Kraigway I know about the pits at Camp Robinson. Qualified there on a number of occasions.
I believe it was the National Guard Championships of 1978. (Wilson Matches). Little Rock got the tail end of a hurricane that caused a lot of rain and flash flooding. Monday they have the 800 agg, Tues the Leg Match, and Wednesday they have the Short & Long Range team Matches. The NMC Team match was on Thrusday and the Infantry Trophy Match is on Friday.

Those matches (Long and Short range) had to be canceled, not because they were afraid the shooters might get wet on the firing line, but because of the flash floods going through the pit area. Can't have a match if you can't keep your pit crews from washing away.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:18 PM   #11
jib

Glad our range doesn't close dur to rain. We'd only get to shoot 4 months of the year.

Jack
Seattle-ish
Old December 17, 2012, 08:06 PM   #12
AdamSean

I really like the idea of weapon presentation and utilizing cover. I am actually quite embarrassed to say that after carrying for more than 12 years and becoming a decent shoot, I have never even thought about utilizing available cover. Thank you viper225 for the advise. I have another important tactic to practice and use.

If I had a nice 4x4 truck, I would be at the range unless there was bad lightning, but alas, I don't.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:12 PM   #13
SPEMack618

My old First Sergeant use to shout "If it raining; we ain't training" ad nauseam.

It was enough to make a dismounted Cav Scout want to cry.

In lieu of training due to inclement weather, I would say write/call/email your Congresss critter and tell him what you think about a new AWB.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:38 PM   #14
pax

Strong recommendation: To practice moving through the home or using cover at home, purchase a Training Barrel or a Firearm Block. Silly to do these things with a functioning firearm when it's so easy and cheap to do it in complete safety with a disabled gun.

pax
Old December 17, 2012, 10:15 PM   #15
kraigwy

For all the guns I have that I might possibly use in SD/HD etc. I have identical blue rubber plastic guns for such training, drawing, presenting, etc.

Kind of hard to screw up and have an accident with one of these little training devices.

Hard to mistake a blue piece of rubber for a loaded or unloaded gun.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Camar

Raining day training means exactly that. Train in the rain. Where there is a will there is a way. Sometimes you have to practice being miserable.

Confrontations don't always happen on a nice warm sunny day.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:21 PM   #17
tony pasley

like the mailman, rain ,sleet, snow, cold, heat still train but all I have to do is go outside to get to my range.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:27 PM   #18
9mm

Train in all different types of weather, you might be in snow/rainy night time one day.