The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
learningcurve

Lines in case

Ok I just got a new order of brass in from a order I placed. Two questions.
1: is my understanding that 9x19 brass is swappable for 9mm. They look th same height and diameter.

2: there are quite a few that have what looks like a cannelure from a bullet printed into them. Is this ok? Here is a picture of the brass. uploadfromtaptalk1342652131217.jpg
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old July 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Yes, 9mm x 19 is the same case as 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, and 9mm NATO.

The marks on the outside of the case also extend to the inside of the case. They're meant to help keep bullets from setting back in the case if they hit the feed ramp wrong. You can ignore them when you're reloading.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; July 18, 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect info.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
jepp2

The 9mm you are interested in is described here to help differentiate it from the 9 X 18 Makarov round and the 9 X 21 round.

9mm Luger, Parabellum, 9mm etc. are all the same designation but come from different origins.

The mark on the case is basically a ring to assist the case in resisting setback as the round slams into the feedramp during the chambering action.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
learningcurve

Thank you for the help. I was a little worried. I ordered them from a trusted site but that concerned me. I will go ahead as planned now. Thank you very much for the replies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old July 18, 2012, 06:27 PM   #5
moxie

For clarity, bullets don't setback from recoil, they "jump."

Jump is usually only seen in heavy recoiling revolvers, where it can cause a bullet to move out of the case (the opposite of setback) and tie up a cylinder.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old July 18, 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

Thanks for the correction, and of course you're absolutely correct - I had a momentary brain fart. I'll edit my first post.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
snuffy

I bet if you check the headstamp, they're all Federal! They love to do that, don't ask me why.

As for the set back and jump forward, the outside-the-case-cannelure, is to prevent set-back of the bullet when it strikes the feed ramp of the barrel. Sort of a ledge the bullet can't go past. Ignore it as far as loading them goes. They may fail sooner than non-cannelured cases, because the cannelure weakens the brass.

That looks to be mixed headstamp brass. It will load alright, but don't expect target accuracy from it. The ONLY way I'll buy once fired brass is if it is sorted, all the same headstamp.

Sent from my backyard via smoke signals!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 18, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
...For clarity, bullets don't setback from recoil, they "jump."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
...marks on the outside of the case also extend to the inside of the case. They're meant to help keep bullets from setting back in the case if they hit the feed ramp
In this case you are both equally and oppositely... correct.

Old July 19, 2012, 12:52 AM   #9
serf 'rett

Not just Federal; I seem to remember recently picking up a pile of Remington brass with the lines.
Old July 19, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
dacaur

Quote:
2: there are quite a few that have what looks like a cannelure from a bullet printed into them. Is this ok? Here is a picture of the brass. uploadfromtaptalk1342652131217.jpg
I have only ever seen those marks on +p ammo....

As for bullet setback vs jump, in revolvers bullets jump from recoil, in autos they setback from striking the feed ramp...