The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
TJMiller

Scope Base - Need Help!

I recently rec'vd my Father's favorite rifle, a JC Higgens Sear's & Roebuck Model 50 bolt-action 30-06, and I would like to mount a scope on it. I have read all my catalogs, but find no reference for it. I would appreciate any advise/assistance.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Sodbuster

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html

This site says FN made it.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old August 1, 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
TJMiller

Scope base

Thanks Sodbuster for the info. I went to Midway USA, and found a one-piece Redfield base # 197-509 (pg. 823) for a Mauser FN. Would this be the correct base?
Old August 1, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Sodbuster

That one should work, TJ. I noticed it has a gloss finish, which is fine if that is what you want. Leupold and Burris should also make mounts for the FN. Whether they would be one-piece or two-piece I don't know, but they may make them in a matte or silver finish if you prefer something other than gloss. You know, so you can color coordinate your scope, mount and rings. And welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice rifle.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino