The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
alzo

POA vs POI with Fixed Sights

At 10 yards, my POI is about 1 inch high and 1 inch left of my POA. Of course there is a little variation here and there, but if I am concentrating I can usually shoot tight groups, but they are always a little high and left.

I have heard that high/left can be caused by anticipating recoil. I'm not ruling it out, but if I'm doing it, I'm doing it very consistently.

My real question is whether I should have the sights (fixed sights) adjusted by the manufacturer or a gunsmith, or if they are "close enough", and I am being too picky.

Any thoughts or suggestions ? What is considered acceptable with respect to POI vs POA ?
Old March 5, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
ribbonstone

Would have to have several range sessions, and consistant POI results, before deciding to change the sights.

Have to be sure that that is where the groups are always going to form...differnt ammo will group in different places. Is possible a different load would be "on"...may well be farther from your POA than the load you are working with now. Generally, lighter bullets shoot lower but I'm never surprized when a bit or windage change happens in a load change.

Are various types of fixed sights. Some (usually semi-autos) are semi-fixed in tht at least one part rides in a dovetail, and that dovetail can supply windage. True fixed sights are usually adjusted by changes in the front sight.

For now, would live with the 1"X1" problem...hit the range with a few alternate loadings, and try a change in grip (can be the verb: how you grip it or the noun: the part itself).
Old March 5, 2006, 03:42 PM   #3
alzo

I've had the gun for three years and have had plenty of different brands of ammo through it, all 230gr, which is what I shoot. The gun has fixed, tritium sights on it. I tried loosening the set screw and drifting the sight with a wood dowel and hammer, but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to go wailing on it for fear of damaging the tritium tubes in the sight.

So, before I go packing it off to have this done, I was just doing a sanity check....i.e.- is it already close enough and I'm making a big deal out of nothing, or should I go ahead and get the sights adjusted ?
Old March 5, 2006, 08:19 PM   #4
ribbonstone

There is a tool for moving dovetail sights...those tridiums were put in with one. Rather than buying one, would find a gunshop/gunsmith that has one that will fit your slide and have him give it a nudge in the right direction.

Are right about not beating the snot out of it...can kill the tridium tubes as well as sliping and putting anice ding in the frame.