The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 30, 2015, 05:30 PM   #26
Deaf Smith

Anyone of these below will do fine if YOU can shoot.

All are tested and shoot right on the money.

Deaf
Old April 30, 2015, 08:23 PM   #27
jrothWA

Carry both...

J-frame and k-frame with no problem from my end.

The K was mostly hiking ( also include in this a .357MAG Ruger SS6)

never felt conspicuous.

Try it, you'll like.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:39 AM   #28
2damnold4this

Quote:
Always has been for me as far as an "on my person" carry. Otherwise, concealed carry in my glove boxes or on one of my boats is a different story.

That's a good point. A medium or large frame revolver in a glove box is concealed but still easily accessed.
Old May 1, 2015, 03:23 PM   #29
Real Gun

Quote:
That's a good point. A medium or large frame revolver in a glove box is concealed but still easily accessed.
Just don't leave it there.
Old May 1, 2015, 04:39 PM   #30
mxsailor803

For me, not at all. I'm not a big guy at all and I carry a GP100 during the winter. Mainly because I'm wearing something will comfortably conceal it. Now could I CC my 629 w/ 6" barrel and 2x Nikon.......... maybe in a backpack or briefcase. To this day my grandfather swears by his Model 19. I've seen that old man on more than one occasion put a full cylinder in 8" circle at 50yds with one hand, granted he only has the use of one hand. For me at least, he has redefined the definition of trigger control.
Old May 1, 2015, 05:47 PM   #31
old bear

Quote:
Is a medium frame or large frame revolver obsolete for concealed carry?
God I hope not, I've been carrying one daily since 1974. A 2 1/2" model 19/66 can be a little bulky to C/C, but to me the inconvenience is well worth it. Both the aforementioned revolvers feel like I've got a real gun in my hand, unlike the J frames. Yet when the weather finally warms up, here in NC, I will be carrying my J frame from time to time.
Old May 1, 2015, 06:36 PM   #32
Doc Holliday 1950

If I wear a Golf shirt or something like it during the warmer months I will carry my GP100 4 " in a inside the belt holster. If not I carry my 2 inch Rossi 357 quite easily.
Doc
Old May 1, 2015, 06:58 PM   #33
Quincunx

Before my recent move back to the People's Republic of Maryland, I often carried a S&W Mountain Gun in .41 Magnum. I never had a problem.
Old May 1, 2015, 07:38 PM   #34
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Is a medium frame or large frame revolver obsolete for concealed carry?
No it isn't. Furthermore why would it be?

If you want to dress around it, there is simply no good reason not to carry a large revolver.
Old May 1, 2015, 07:54 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

If you are fortunate enough to be able to read the gun magazines from the 50s on, up through the 80s, you will find many articles talking about concealing autos vs. revolvers. You can find them still today, but no where near the frequency of decades past when revolvers were the main choice.

And an interesting thing you can find in these kinds of articles, both the "obsolete" clothing, (and criteria) and the fact that barrel length was not the biggest factor.

For a revolver, it was (and still is) the cylinder. For autopistols, its the butt. And what concealed easily under the looser styles of the past doesn't do as well with form fitting attire.

Not sure how well "obsolete" fits, but by the numbers, revolvers aren't as popular as they once were. And while I'm about as far from fashion aware as you can get, even I know that today's suits aren't cut like the ones from the 1930s.

Fit your gun to your wardrobe, or fit you wardrobe to your gun, I don't really see another option..
Old May 1, 2015, 08:38 PM   #36
2damnold4this

Looking at photographs of people in the 1930s, they seem to be wearing a lot more clothing and the clothing seems baggier than today's styles.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:43 PM   #37
pete2

A 2-1/2" model 19 will carry as well as a Glock 19, maybe better.