The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 26, 2000, 07:30 PM   #1
Morgan

I just got back home from the Front Range IDPA Owl Canyon match. Two scenario stages, one standards stage, and a rifle side match.

For Kathryn and Dr. Rob, it was their first match ever, and both did astoundingly well!

I was lucky enough to be Safety Officer for their squad, and it really brought back the excitement of my first match. There were three match disqualifications for safety violations today, but no TFL'ers had such problems.

Kathryn was cool, deliberate and accurate with her SIG, and none of the Doctor's patients are complaining . Best of all, I felt perfectly safe scurrying along with them with the timer - excellent gunhandling skills.

Unfortunatly, neither got to shoot the rifle stage - Kathryn needed to go, and Dr. Rob had a frustrating equipment problem.

All in all, a good day, a good match, and good fun. It was nice to meet Kathryn, and finally shoot with Dr. Rob. I'm happy to say neither of them shoot ESP, because I don't need any more competition .
Old February 28, 2000, 11:19 AM   #2
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Man we had FUN. Even with the long drive home and frustrating equipment problem Morgan mentioned. I can't think of the last time I had that much fun shooting targets. The first stage my heart was pounding like a jackhammer, I wasn't even concerned about accuracy, just about not violating safety rules etc. I shot a LOT better than I thought i would, and HIGHLy recommend this form of sport shooting. Its a GAS!!

Kathryn and Morgan are both pretty darn good shots too.. hahah and you should SEE Morgan storm the final barricade with an AR-15.

You'll see every kind of handgun at these matchs from Colts, Smith and wessons, Sig's , Glocks, HK's, etc etc etc . One guy was even shooting a SW 625 revolver. And he was REALLY good.

Thanks to Morgan and Dave and Tom for making the safty class and the match a lot of fun.

Repairing my rifle and reloading ammo for the next one,

Dr.Rob
Old February 29, 2000, 05:20 PM   #3
motorep

Ok, are you guys going to shoot the next Clear Creek match? I got a personal invite from MarkCo today, so unless it's snowing, it looks like I'll have to be there. He said that the side match will be 2 shotgun stages, if any of you need to borrow my 1100, you're welcome to.
Old March 1, 2000, 11:59 AM   #4
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

ooo I guess the 870 is going in the car next time

what do ya say kids???

Dr.Rob
Old March 1, 2000, 01:22 PM   #5
Kathryn

Hi, guys! I had a great time. The sun was out and the wind was down. Thanks for the compliments!!! I used to play in band and orchestra, and got used to the inevitable misses on my clarinet.

Alas, I'll miss Clear Creek in March. In favor of a little car vacation. But I'll be back soon!
Old March 1, 2000, 01:24 PM   #6
Joey

Tried to make the Owl Canyon shoot to check things out but as cold and windy as it was sat and with a sick youngster we skiped it. Instead we spent the day in Ft Fun and area visiting gun shops. Hamblen sales is hands down my favorite!!!

We just went and ordered a Horsehide holster, dual ammo pouch and belt yesterday for the wife's Glock 19 from http://www.cowboyleather.com/ and was told it will take about 4 weeks for them to make them. Anybody have any good or bad experience with Cowboy Leather out of Cheyenne?????

Now all we need to do is take the Front Range safety course one of these days.

How long does the safety course last and where is it?? I'm off work till Thurs the 9th so this might be a good time to take it.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited March 01, 2000).]
Old March 1, 2000, 01:41 PM   #7
Morgan

I'll certainly be at Clear Creek. Mark said two shotgun stages? Boyohboyohboy!

For shotgun stages, keep in mind we use slugs for the paper targets and birdshot for the steels, so bring some of each. Kinda hard on the pasters to tape targets blasted with buck!
Old March 1, 2000, 02:00 PM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

yep note to self drop some slugs in the range box...

Rob
Old March 1, 2000, 04:23 PM   #9
MarkCO

YES, two shotgun stages. One slugs and one birdshot. You'll need 10 of each unless you have misses.

AND 4 pistol. 1 blind, 1 semi-blind, one Par time standards and 1 "scurry about" stage.

Sure to see lots of smiles and lots of shakin'!

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO
[URL=http://www.angelfire.com/co3/markcolo/[/URL]

Old March 1, 2000, 04:26 PM   #10
MarkCO

Almost forgot, scores should be up by tonight.

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO
http://www.angelfire.com/co3/markcolo/
Old March 1, 2000, 07:54 PM   #11
Joey

Woops!

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited March 01, 2000).]
Old March 6, 2000, 11:43 AM   #12
Kathryn

The scores are up! I did NOT finish last, ha ha. Got VERY close! Dr. Rob, your score was darn good for being so nervous and all.
Old March 6, 2000, 12:37 PM   #13
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Wierd I thought I scored better on stage 1 than stage 2. ??

Doesn't look like I'm gonna be doing any bragging about my score anytime sonn ;(

Now if I can get my Colt to stop jamming on re-load I can get some time off that score.

But safety comes first.

See you kids saturday.

Dr.Rob
Old March 8, 2000, 06:27 PM   #14
Morgan

Rob - our squad shot stage two first, so your perceptions were correct.

Hope to see all on Saturday!