The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
CWizard

Night sights

I would like to hear from anyone who has used night sights. Handgun, shotgun or rifle, doesn't matter. I want info for future purchases. Thanks
Old October 4, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2
sholling

I have tritium sights (Trijicon and Mepro) on 7 of my handguns and 1 of my AR15s. I consider them must have on my first line self defense weapons.
Old October 4, 2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Creeper

These are the "truths" of tritium sights... IMO.

You seldom know under what conditions you'll need to use a defensive weapon, but in many cases it will be in semi to total darkness.

Criminals who would break into or onto your property tend to work at night to conceal their activities. There is also a certain terror element to darkness that works in their favor... sometimes it can work in your favor.

You may have a flashlight, you may not. Flashlight training is a good thing.
Yes, there is such a thing as weapon and light training. The idea is to illuminate the bad guy to your advantage, rather than to illuminate yourself to them. Surprise is a key element to dominating and decimating your opponent.

Tritium sights last about 10-13 years before they're toast... individual results may vary.

Once you've "used" tritium sights (and honestly, few people have used them in the context that I'm considering) you will be hard pressed to not have them on any gun which does HD duty.
Most folks, luckily, have only looked thru them in the dark when they first get them and every few months there after... saying to themselves "Wooo... these are soooo cool!"

I have them on every shotgun, handgun and rifle I own that has the potential of being an HD gun. Some guns came with them, some I had to fit with them, but they all have them.

Cheers,
C
Old October 12, 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
mkim1120

Trijicon ftw!
Old October 12, 2009, 10:36 AM   #5
ragwd

I put mepros on my Sig that had black sights, even in daylight they are easier to look at than just plain old black site. For my old eyes anyway.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:10 AM   #6
shooter_from_show-me

They came from the factory on my SA XD 9mm. A very nice feature to have for CCW or HD, IMO. Unlike some paint-on night sights that you'll have to set the firearm out in the light for 5 or so minutes, Tritium sights do not need this.

NRA Life Member
Old October 12, 2009, 11:13 AM   #7
RickB

I'm not so high on them. I have shot with them in the dark, and they do make shooting very much easier, but I think that's part of the problem; because you CAN shoot and hit with them in near total-darkness, I'd be affraid that they would encourage me to shoot, when I had not properly identified the target. You need some amount of light to locate and ID the target, and then the night sights are not really necessary (that's my experience in low/no light shooting). There was a recent news story about a 62yo old man who shot his fiance in the darkness of their house, believing she was an intruder. The first thought that came to mind (other than what an utter tragedy), was, "was he using night sights?" He couldn't ID the target, but he was able to hit in the darkness? For cops and military, who may see situations where they are allowed to engage anyone and everyone who is "over there", they are great, but I'm not so sure about their use for individual self defense. I prefer fiber optic sights, as they magnify the available light, even when the light level is low, and when I can't see the sights glowing, I can't see (ID) the target, either. No sights? No shoot.
Old October 13, 2009, 11:46 AM   #8
NightSight

Rick,

While you make some very good points, I don't completely agree with you. I have trained with several people that believe in the flash (to ID the target), get off the X, and shoot technique. In this case the light would only be on long enough to ID the target. Then the light goes off, you move and use your nights to put rounds on target. In this case, nights are invaluable.