The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 12, 2005, 06:50 PM   #26
Jseime

It wasnt me

during this years white tail season i was driving with some cousins through a field to get to our spot and popped over a hill only to see a big 5X5 come runnning out of the bush 50 yards ahead of us. needless to say i was out of the truck and had the deer on the ground before the wheels stopped turning but the next deer out was a 6X6 that made mine look like bambi. my other cousin was out of the truck at this time and was reaching into the back seat to get another gun because i was done. my cousin wayne handed him the old enfield .303 british. he worked the action and the deer had stopped at about 200 yards john pulled the trigger only to hear a loud and ominous "CLICK" of a firing pin on an empty chamber. needless to say wayne was in the back seat with the magazine in his pocket. we never saw that big ol 6X6 again. Next year he's mine it was late on closing say that he got away and was only a few hundred yards from posted land
Old January 12, 2005, 07:11 PM   #27
bill k

Thank God it didn't happen to me, but. We all arrived back in camp after a long days hunt. In the camp next to us was a brand new 2004 Dodge 4x4. Nice lift kit, tires, rims, with one addition. It had a bullet hole going through the hood and out the other side.
We all stood there looking at the hood holding back our laughs. The owner came over and very calmly said, "when you shoot down hill and use the hood of your truck as a rest, if you notice your truck hood in the bottom of your scope, rethink pulling the trigger."
He tuned and walked away.
Old January 24, 2005, 04:38 PM   #28
calvin62

pumping my auto

on a deer drive one day a big doe jumped up down slope of me me I made my first shot and pumped the gun , being a semiauto this utterly confused me untill I looked down and saw that the magazine cap nut was gone.
needless to say I didnt fire again and didnt get the deer. I now have my sling mounted to the mag cap and call it my [capnut retaining strap]. and have a tendency to tighten the cap 100 times a day.
Old January 28, 2005, 03:28 PM   #29
220swifter

I tried to cross a barbed wire fence while dove hunting without putting my gun down first. I put my left foot on the second strand and my left hand on the top strand and tried to swing my right leg over while holding the gun by the grip with my right hand. About half way through the process, the top strand broke, and my chin and right hand were the first things to hit. It knocked me out and broke the gun stock. I consider myself very lucky.
Old January 28, 2005, 04:54 PM   #30
Robert Garner

well dumb enuff

Went to school with a fellah from Argintina who took me up on shooting a black powder revolver.Theres a power line, runs down by the lake, we used as a range,its late winter,and having lots of fun,when the flask run dry.
Cold fumblin fingers I'm sure led to the 1/4 pound o powder on the ground.
Lets see powder good/expensive,dirt bad,sooo drivers license to cut the good from the bad!Ole boy wishes to help, gets a card out and proceeds,I notice his cigarette just as its about to touch the powder my reaction from a crouch with face over the powder was immediate but unfortunately tardy,
and yes you may run backwards full throttle and never completely rise to full height or open your eyes,even then as you feel yourself fallin you tend to turn and catch yourself. What an amazingly soft landing on red clay and rock! Take stock now, open eyes yep, I can see, london fog? Nooo just the release of black powder smoke ,good I'm breathin,what are them black moving things,fog clears vision sharpens oh ants ,fire ants 0 my jeez! These fellars are kinda upset that i've created a crater in their nice sized hill,and appear to be hanging around for dinner! excusing myself from their hospitality
I start many on their little ant trajectories as I am fanning slappin and shakin em out for all I'm worth! their in my hair which aint so bad but their in my ears,and I'm not hanging here anymore when there is a perfectly good lake about! Head first and belt deep washing 'em off me and outa my hair by the time I realize just how cold a cattle pond is in winter I'm outa air pushing my head out nope just shoving my arms into the muck uh-oh.Thanks to my partner for draggin me out!
Now I know some of ya thinks this hears funny but thats comming up.
My Squinch,before the flash made lots of high's and low's on my facial features already not the most pleasant.The Flash itself "sunburned" the high spots and left pale the lows,"Tigerstripes?",and left no hair forward of the ears! No eyebrows eyelashes or sideburns!The fireants work looked like a case of small pox.
whats funny was goin to school and explaining
NO I am not an Auburn fan!
Robert
Occupied Georgia
Old January 28, 2005, 10:57 PM   #31
hatchet

Parked my manual transmission vehicle close in front of the tent. Got up the morning, went to start it to turn on the headlights and warm it up. Did not
have the e-brake on, half asleep I did not realize it was in 1st gear. Depressed the clutch to start it, lets out the clutch and it lunged foward into
the tent. My buddy in the tent woke up very quickly, needless to say.
Fortunatly, it missed his legs. However he was under the vehicle. What a
sight to wake up to. I almost die laughing now everytime I think about seeing
his reaction.
Old January 29, 2005, 11:29 AM   #32
armabill

While deer hunting: tripped over a rock which sent me face first into a tree and then slid down an embankment.

I thought for sure that I broke my leg but I didn't. Hurt like hell though.

Got a real close up first hand look at tree bark- intertesting at that distance!
Old January 29, 2005, 12:05 PM   #33
TerminalVelocity16

A friend of mine did this a few years back. Driving down the road and saw a nice sized deer....maybe 5pt. Got out of the car leaned the rifle on the slopping vynle roof of the car. He aimed and pulled the trigger. left a long tear across the entire roof where the bullet had skinned. Missed the deer too.
Old January 29, 2005, 06:11 PM   #34
duhawki647

Wet One

I was hunting whitetails in the back woods of eastern Kentucky when I felt the call of nature. A suitable creek was located to receive my deposit. While 'going', I realized my nose was about to run and reached for my handkerchief in my right hand jacket pocket. The other item in that pocket was my box of ammo. When I pulled out the hanky, the box of ammo got snagged and tumbled out. It could be clearly seen on the creek bottom in a couple of feet of water. I was able to use a tree branch and sweep the box to a shallow spot where I could fish it out. I certainly could trust the wet ammo, but fortunately, I had two cartridges in a wrist band. A couple of hours latter I used one of the dry cartridges to harvest a big fat doe. Afterwards, I decided to shoot up the wet ammo. Amazingly, every round went off fine.
Regards,
Duhawki