The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 10, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Chet Punisher

Thinking about the B&C Medalist M40

Been thinking about this stock for a while. Wondering if anyone that has one will let me know what they think of it. It will be going on a SPS tactical .223...

Post pics if you can. Did you bed it? Thanks.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2
WWWJD

Put one on my SPS back in the summer. Worth every penny. It's definitely heavier than most options, but the adjustability of the thing is sweet and it's very comfortable to shoot. I sent it off to CDI for inletting for the bottom metal as well. Bedding is something that I'm considering doing just because I've never done it before and it can't hurt anything. I've got no justification for it based on rifle accuracy. From what I can tell by the friction/contact points, it's already bedded pretty well to be a machined piece.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Chet Punisher

I guess I need to be more specific. That is a different m40 stock. I'm looking at this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110...nnel-synthetic

Thanks.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
ronl

I dropped my 700 into a B&C Medalist A3 and it has made a signifigant difference in the accuracy. I bought mine at Stocky's stocks. You should check them out. I think the B&C stocks offer the best bang for the buck out there. I am sure satisfied with mine.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:53 PM   #5
ripnbst

I really wish B&C offered stocks for ADL models. I like that my gun is lightweight but the only nice synthetic stocks I have found that let me retain the blind mag is McMillan and I don't feel like selling body parts for one.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:01 PM   #6
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I really wish B&C offered stocks for ADL models
You can get an SPS bottom metal and turn yours into a BDL with whatever aftermarket stock you would like.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
WWWJD

Chet,
That stock you're looking at is very similar to the HS Precision PST-012 I had installed previously. Midway USA PST 012.

Personally, I didn't like it too much. The Palm swell and the grip angle just didn't sit right with me for extended periods of time. Made my wrist hurt after about 40 rounds. Additionally, I had to add a cheek weld to it even after I'd spent my $350 or so dollars to get it "right". The bedding block on the HS was on par with the B&C. To each his own. The M40 is definitely more budget friendly.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 12, 2012, 03:43 PM   #8
4EVERM-14

B&C stocks are very nice. If you plan on doing a lot of bench shooting you might consider the #2 style. It has a wide ,flat bottom and rides bags pretty well. I have two and am very pleased. The M40 style is also a good bargain.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 12, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
You can get an SPS bottom metal and turn yours into a BDL with whatever aftermarket stock you would like.
By the time you spend the money to buy the bottom metal and a B&C stock it will be almost as expensive as buying a McMillan that will be almost a full pound lighter than the B&C.

I don't like the B&C stocks on a hunting rifle, even the lightest they offer is much heavier than wood. But on a target/tactical/varmit rig where weight is not a concern they make a good stock. I think they are every bit as good as the HS-Precision stocks that sell for $150 more.

The McMillans are better, but not enough for me to pay the difference on this rifle. You can get a McMIllan tactical for $418, a standard weight sporter for $438 and a true lightweight for $518. On a hunting rifle the $518 Edge is a bargain if you want to hunt with a very lightweight rifle

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/catalo...x.php?cPath=22

If you decide on the B&C they are a little cheaper here. I've had good experiences ordering from these guys before as well.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...cal/Categories
Old December 12, 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

Quote:
By the time you spend the money to buy the bottom metal and a B&C stock it will be almost as expensive as buying a McMillan that will be almost a full pound lighter than the B&C.
Except the McMillans aren't bedded and to have that done can be another couple hundred dollars. Some people have success without bedding them, but the majority of McM owners that I have talked to said that the stock did not improve their groups until they did get it bedded.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Chet Punisher

I found these prices pretty good... http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/medalst2.htm
Old December 12, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
jmr40

Quote:
I really wish B&C offered stocks for ADL models. I like that my gun is lightweight but the only nice synthetic stocks I have found that let me retain the blind mag is McMillan and I don't feel like selling body parts for one.

If you are at all handy with tools consider one of these.

http://hightech-specialties.com/stocks.html

For $290 you get a stock blank and they offer it in ADL. You may, or may not have to do some minor final fitting. You will need to cut it to the correct length of pull and epoxy on a recoil pad and paint it. It an't rocket science. I've done 2-3 and they turned out pretty well. Mine were not as professionally finished, as my McMillans, but were perfectly serviceable on a working rifle and far lighter than a B&C. This is the only other stock I'd consider on a hunting rifle other than Mc Millan

I used a $2 flipflop from Walmart for a recoil pad to cut down on costs and weight. The Flip flop pads work great and weigh 1/2 oz vs 4-5 oz for a standard pad.

Here is a photo of one with the flip flop pad. This stock is 1 lb. 6 oz., about the same as a McMillan Edge A B&C Medalist will weigh about 2.5 lbs. A standard weight McMillan will run about 30-32 oz.

Old December 12, 2012, 05:00 PM   #13
jmr40

Quote:
Except the McMillans aren't bedded and to have that done can be another couple hundred dollars. Some people have success without bedding them, but the majority of McM owners that I have talked to said that the stock did not improve their groups until they did get it bedded.
I've 4 McMillans. None are bedded. Even if you wanted to it is a DIY project costing no more than $3-$5.

They all shoot just fine, even the Kimber in this group.

Old December 15, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
tAKticool

Funny i was just looking at the same thing, the one that WWWJD has. I believe a green model comes on the Remington 700 Target Tactical comes with. When you break it down, it's basically a Remington 700 'SPS Varmint' action, a 26" Heavy Barrel but it has the 5R rifling, and then the Bell & C Medalist Target/Varmint 'M40' stock.. making it over $2000.

I myself have built a rifle I am calling my M32 SWS... M32 because it's halfway between an M40 and M24 lol. It's a SPS Tactical AAC-SD rifle, 20" heavy barrel, to which I have added a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm scope, Harris Ultralight S-BRM bipod, Viking Tactical padded sling, and so far about 250 rounds of premium 308 Win ammo. I want a stock, will save to get the ideal one not a compromise. I am leaning towards a McMillan 'General Purpose Hunting' M40A1 stock, which has a retro camo color, and was the actual stock the USMC chose when they made the 'original' M40 "A1 because it was not the first they had, the absolute first were the original R700 wooden stocked rifles they got from Remington 'off-the-shelf' for immediate deployment to the jungles of Vietnam" ... so it's awesome, but I have argued about this recently, McMillan says if you buy this particular stock (a HUNTING variety rather than the A4/A5 etc, Tactical stocks) and pay for the inletting service et,c it will be drop in and ready to go. Some people tell me Nonono you need it custom bedded or it won't work.

So I am not sure, because if wht they say is right and it's another $250 for the gunsmith bedding etc, $525 becomes $775 and about the price of the Accuracy International AICS ...

And when I looked at the B&C Medalist Varmint/Tactical M40 it specifically says it will need to be inletted and then bedded so that is a big gunsmithing job IMHO.

I am liking the McMillan more and more but I dont want to spend $525 and be PO'd.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Chet Punisher

That's the first I heard that a B&C needs to be inlet for a 700 short action SPS tactical? Anyone know if that's true? I always heard they were drop in.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:47 PM   #16
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I myself have built a rifle I am calling my M32 SWS... M32 because it's halfway between an M40 and M24 lol. It's a SPS Tactical AAC-SD rifle, 20" heavy barrel, to which I have added a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm scope, Harris Ultralight S-BRM bipod, Viking Tactical padded sling, and so far about 250 rounds of premium 308 Win ammo.
Out of curiosity, how is that in between the M40 and M24? Both of those rifles have barrels longer than 20" (I believe they use 24" barrels)
Old December 15, 2012, 06:09 PM   #17
tAKticool

Quote:
That's the first I heard that a B&C needs to be inlet for a 700 short action SPS tactical? Anyone know if that's true? I always heard they were drop in
I think I mistyped this and was thinking McMillan , when I look at all the Remington 700 stocks MidwayUSA sells made my McMillan most say something about "semi-inletted "Etc. I have no knowledge of how B&C works. Are they drop in? (I am sorry for mistyping and fully apologized for my erroneous information typed by me.)

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how is that in between the M40 and M24? Both of those rifles have barrels longer than 20" (I believe they use 24" barrels)
It had absolutely nothing to do with the barrel size dude... It was purely a joke, I am making a half-ace'd sniper rifle copy with a half-ace'd frame of reference/copy inspiration of the US Military sniper rifles based on the Remington 700... not a specific USMC 40 clone, not a specific USMC M24 SWS clone... So I jokingly called it a M32 and said it was halfway (As in half of the inspiration comes from the M24 half of it comes from the M40). Please don't let my personal joking let you take yourself too seriously.. The barrel length was not really in my equation.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #18
WWWJD

AFAIK, all B&C are drop in for the 700. Only inletting I had done was for the bottom metal.

NRA Endowment FTW