The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 25, 2005, 08:41 PM   #1
USNavy_233

Looking for take down instructions for a .36 Cal 1851 Colt Navy Black Powder revolver

I just acquired a reproduction 1851 Navy model in .36 cal. I'm trying to get a hold of complete assembly / disassembly instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
-Walt

Old October 27, 2005, 07:41 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know how far down you want to go in disassembly. To begin with, tap out the wedge (key) from right to left. It may not come out all the way but if it hangs up on the screw that is what it is supposed to do.

Pull the barrel and loading lever straight forward off the frame. If it is tight, take a thin piece of wood (like a popsicle stick) and put it between the loading rammer and the cylinder, then pull down on the loading lever to force the barrel off.

Then remove the cylinder. That should be enough for normal cleaning.

Jim
Old October 28, 2005, 09:41 AM   #3
USNavy_233

Thanks Jim. That's pretty much what I was looking for. I want to break it down and clean it well before I take it to the range. Question; after shooting a fair amount, do you ever break yours down farther than that for a good deap cleaning? Just want to make sure It's well maintained.
-Walt
Old November 3, 2005, 02:49 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I rarely detail strip my shooting guns unless something is wrong and needs to be fixed. I have never understood the folks who have to take down a gun to its tiniest parts for "cleaning". I think it must be some kind of complex, like the people who spend hours washing their hands.

IMHO, more guns are ruined with lost, broken or bent parts from being taken apart than from normal use. After several sessions, I do remove the nipples on a percussion revolver and run hot water through the cylinder. Then I let the cylinder dry from heat, oil the cylinder and the nipples and reinstall.

Otherwise, just use the gun, put a few drops of oil ahead of the hammer once in a while and let it go unless it gets really dirty.

Jim