The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2013, 09:55 PM   #26
Jeff2131

Um....buy rcbs carbide 9mm dies. Problem solved. $35 to stop all your headaches.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:06 AM   #27
JustSomeGuy

I dunno... I do use Hornady One Shot even though I have carbide dies and am using mostly Dillon 650's to reload with. I do have an LNL also, but it is dedicated to .45 and large primers, and none of the machines with their recommended dies exhibit this problem. However, I have heard of this before and a rough decapping die/neck resizer or rough belling die can cause some problems. Sometimes the solution is as simple as polishing until the problem subsides, but generally something more than very fine steel wool is required. Polishing wheels can be attached to a grinder or, if you don't have one of those, even a dremel tool with a polishing wheel can be used if you mount it solidly (like in a vise) and rotate the offending die part against the spinning wheel of the dremel that has a polishing compound on the wheel. Smooth is good! Out of round is bad!
Old October 17, 2013, 08:32 PM   #28
Elerius

The dies are not really covered under the return/replace info on the website. It took 5 minutes of polishing with Mothers to smooth it out, so I decided not to bother with the hassel for such a small inexpensive piece.

However, I got a Redhawk in 44 magnum and received a set of Lee dies with that also. The belling die is smoother but also pulls a bit on some cases, and had a lot of built up brass dust in that one also from the previous owner. I'm feeling more like its the Lee dies in general at this point.
Old October 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #29
SVTCobra306

My 9mm and .45acp Lee dies act this way as well. Early on I had a couple that were really rough when you pulled the brass out.. I decided I was flaring too much and set the die to not bell as much. This really seems to have eliminated the brass shaving as well as calming down the "thunk" on pullout. Sometimes if I get a longer than normal brass I get a good thunk again, I just measure to make sure it's in spec and drive on.