The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Elerius

Explain different powder measures

I have been looking for anywhere that gives good explanations of the different types of powder measures and how they work. If anyone has a direct link I will just read that. For now though...

I started reloading with a Hornady Lock n Load progressive and have never even been in the presence of another press or alternative tools. I learned from only from hornady's videos and instruction book, and forums and because of that the only thing I'm familiar with is this case activated press mounted type. I think I broke the Hornady measure but it would be best to know these things anyways even if I fix it. The only thing I load for is pistol.

It looks like the only powder measures that fit on the press itself are the Lee Auto Disk, my own Hornady, and something by Dillon (not sure which one atm, and the only reason I know that is because of the sticky for beginners). So do all these other measures need to be bolted down? On a shelf, or over the dies?

How will they work with a progressive press, would I need to dump the powder into each case by hand during the process?

How do I use the powder-through feature on my Lee dies and with what measures is this compatible?

I think those questions cover everything. Any descriptions of each method of charging a case and examples of which machines do what, and how, would be really helpful. Even manual charging methods with dippers.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
How will they work with a progressive press, would I need to dump the powder into each case by hand during the process?
On the Dillon 550b, the powder measure works automatically as the press is cycled. The Dillon measure that comes with the 550b uses a special expander and powder "die", that despenses the powder into each case.

Most, if not all powder measures have some kind of an adjustable cavity that controls the amount of powder that is despensed by volumn. There are two general types of cavities, one that slides back and forth (Dillon, Et. al.), and the kind that is inside a revolving drum (RCBS Uniflow, Et. al.). There are also electronic powder measures that despense powder according to weight. While more accurate than those despensing by volumn, they are slower and do not work with progressive presses.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
g.willikers

The workings of a powder measure is kind of important.
Especially with progressive presses.
Why not just replace yours with the one that's designed for the press?
Old October 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
bt380

Check out 76highboy on you tube. He has great vids on the LNL AP. If you still have a problem after watching his vids, you can contact him on http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/ and he will chime in eventually. He and others there are really helpful just as they are here. Just another source for assistance.
Old October 11, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
BigJimP

If you have a Hornaday LNL ...talk to Hornaday about parts to repair the powder measure you have / or buy another one...

but all of the "auto indexing" powder measures have a way to measure and dispense the correct amount of powder - based on a bolt that typically shrinks or enlarges the "scoop"...that cycles as the press operates.

Dillon's powder measures work real well ( at least on my Dillon 650 press ).......but I don't think I'd install one in Hornaday LNL ...
Old October 11, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
dickttx

Hornady should send you any parts you need (without cost) to fix your measure.
I have had a Lyman 55, and Ohas, an RCBS and have the Hornady that came with my LnL. These all work by adjusting a cavity in the drum.
My most accurate and usable one is the Lee Pro Auto Disk. It works by sliding a fixed size hole under the reservoir. You select the proper size hole out of 24 that comes with the measure.
When I bought my LnL I simply switched my Lee dies and the PAD to the LnL. It works as well there as it did on the Lee Classic Turret. I have never even unboxed my Hornady measure.

Old October 11, 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
bt380

If you call Hornady about your LNL AP, ask for the free primer upgrade repair. I recall reading about the primer feed potential problem somewhere. If they want to charge you say never mind and call back later an so on until you get the free one.