The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Theis Holster Reviews

As the popularity of concealed carry continues to grow, the number of concealed carry holster makers continues to grow right along with it. I've tried all kinds of holsters over the years in search of something that was comfortable and concealed the firearm well. For carrying along the waistband, I've found that the most comfortable way to carry is by using a hybrid leather and kydex holster.

Tommy Theis, the man behind Theis Holsters, makes some of the best IWB holsters I've ever tried. I first heard about his products from a gun forum and at the time I was primarily using Crossbreed holsters. Crossbreed make a very good product but it is an expensive product. Theis holsters start at $55 for basic models, so I figured I'd give them a shot. All Theis holsters come with a lifetime warranty and a 2 week risk free trial period. My first holster was for my PPQ:

I was impressed with the quality of it and the design. Theis offers metal, kydex, and "J hook" clips for all of his holsters. The standard cut of the leather was what many holster makers call a 'combat cut,' except other makers charge extra for this. I also like the texture of the leather on the backside of the holster; it's finished just like on the front side. Some holster makers have a rough texture on the back which is kind of annoying because that's the side that contacts the skin of the wearer. I've worn this holster for a few days a week for about a year now and the holster looks good as new. It's held up to hot southern summer days (and the sweat absorption that comes with it) as well as cold days up in the northeast.

The second holster I purchased was for my Kahr CM9. This combination of this holster and the lightweight, slim CM9 make for a very comfortable carry experience.

The Kahr CM9 may be great for summer carry, but during the winter with the additional layers of sweatshirts and even jackets, larger firearms can be concealed. So, I was browsing www.theisholsters.com and I noticed a customer picture of a holster designed for a Beretta with a light on it. I browsed the drop down menu of the site but didn't see any light holsters. So, I sent Tommy an email asking if he could make a holster for my G22 with a TRL2 attached. I was pretty sure he wouldn't have a mold for that so I offered to send in my TRL2 as well. Within about 3 hours, I had a response saying to send it in and he would build a custom holster for me. I sent the light in along with payment and 2 weeks later I had the holster in my mailbox.

Here's the Thies holster next to one of my Crossbreed Supertuck's (note the difference in the cut and the texture of the Crossbreed):

For more photos and the full review, please click on the link below:
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...r-reviews.html
Old February 26, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Miketodd04

Awesome review. I have been looking at Theis Holsters now for a few days and I am really thinking i'm going to get one for my new Sig STX 1911. I e-mailed him and he said "no problem" he can make it. He also responded in about 20 min. Thanks for helping me make a good decision.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Good review, plouffedaddy.

I have a horsehide Theis holster that I've had for around a year and a half. I use it to carry regularly, but not daily. Materials and workmanship on mine are very good, and Tommy's CS was as good as any in the business, IMO.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

It certainly seems that I'm not alone in liking these holsters....
Old February 28, 2012, 10:37 AM   #5
swinokur

And you can get plain clips from Tommy. CB won't even discuss it.

Bye Bye CB.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6
dascottsman

Love my Theis holster. I got the natural finish model for the G23, and adjusted it one notch to let it ride a bit lower in the waistband. Took a couple days to mold nice, but took the advice of others and wore it around the house for a couple days to get her started. As mentioned before, excelling customer service and craftsmanship is what you will recieve from Tom and his grandson. Been promising myself one for the Sig 239. Need to pull the trigger so to speak...............

I noticed that you have tried both types of clips Plouffedaddy, do you have a preference of the two styles I see here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5057.JPG (61.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5058.JPG (60.6 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by dascottsman; February 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old February 29, 2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Miketodd04

Just ordered mine for my full size 1911 today! I"ll be sure to post how I like it. With a 2 week trial period, how can you go wrong?! Ouch, just got an e-mail saying he is about 4 weeks out in production. I really hope I get it sooner.

Last edited by Miketodd04; February 29, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Miata Mike

I have just received my second horsehide IWB holster from Tommy and love it. I can't wait to put my latest to the test. Thank you Tommy and good luck in your semi retirement job. I am sure to convince coworkers to try your holsters.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
BitterTait

oooh, they support the Makarov! I have been looking for that style of holster for my Bulgie for a year, and that's the first one that's under a C-note. I'll likely be buying, thank you sir!