The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Snug IWB holsters. Recommendations?

I'm interested in what people recommend for IWB holsters for a G19, or GP100 4".

I know many brands won't be availabe in Estonia, but I think I can order from the USA without breaking the law surrounding strategic goods, so please do offer any and all models that work for you.

Thanks!
Old October 7, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
ScotchMan

James, I've mentioned this in other threads, so at the risk of sounding like a broken record, check out Remora holsters. They do not have clips or straps, but rather the outer surface is covered in rubbery dots, so you holster your gun and put it wherever you want (IWB, pocket) and it DOES NOT move. I love it because I can seat the gun very deep if needed, or higher up, with any amount of cant. You can customize it for your clothes that day.

They are all $24.99 and sizes match their intended guns very well. I don't use it exclusively, but I use it a lot, and I have no complaints at all. It's biggest strength is that there is so little to it, it is very thin and so adds very little to the profile of your gun. I like to use it when I am wearing jeans and just a t-shirt as a cover garment, so I want as little to the holster as possible.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

I also have a High Noon holster coming in the mail today, for longer days when I will carry for 6-8 hours or more. I haven't used it yet obviously, but my research took me to them for a high quality leather holster. One of the things that stood out about them for me was that every holster is custom made for ONE GUN. There is no list of guns it fits, its made for THAT gun.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 7, 2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Great!!

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look! Also found "galco".

Nice, but pricier than your Remora suggestion!
Old October 7, 2011, 12:16 PM   #4
ScotchMan

Yeah there are plenty of good manufacturers out there. Galco, Bianchi, Desantis, Safariland, Crossbreed, Don Humes, Milt Sparks, etc etc. I was mentioning the ones I have experience with but there are plenty of good options.

Holsters are personal and everyone likes something different. The only general advice I think applies to most is get something thats made specifically for your gun and not that one that fits multiple models.

I think $75-100 is probably the average price of a decent holster. That's one of the reasons I always mention the Remora price tag. At that price its worth trying just to see if you like it. $100 I'd want to be a bit more sure.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 7, 2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Fargazer

I just received my Milt Sparks VM-2 in the mail today; it fits my P99 beautifully, and is extremely comfortable. Roughly speaking, the P99 is near the size of the G19, so I would imagine similar results with it. All you have to do is be willing to wait - I had placed my order April 1st.
Old October 7, 2011, 06:44 PM   #6
BeachHead

I like High Noon Holsters, myself.
Old October 7, 2011, 11:08 PM   #7
BarryLee

I have a Milt Sparks VM-2 for my SIG P220 and it is excellent.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 9, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8
ScotchMan

Just wanted to follow-up, my High Noon Public Secret sized for the Ruger SR9c arrived the other day. As some of you may know I've been having problems with my SR9c (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465081), so opportunity to use the new holster has been limited.

However, today, it was 80 degrees where I am and I spent a fair bit of time outside wearing just a t-shirt. The grips on my revolver were sticking to my t-shirt so I elected to carry the SR9c, and I used the new High Noon holster.

At first I was concerned that it sticks out more than the Remora (it has to, the Remora has almost nothing to it and the High Noon is thick leather). However, I successfully concealed under just the t-shirt all day with no issues. The draw and reholster are really great and overall I'm highly satisfied.

If I can conceal under just a fitted T-shirt with no issues, then I would be comfortable using it with any type of clothing.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member