The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 17, 2001, 01:37 AM   #1
GregM

I need some opinions on which I should buy. I have three options.

First: A used Remington 870 wingmaster with 18" barrel. Finish is bad but the action is like butter. It has potential. $160

Second: New 970 marine magnum with remington folding stock. $300

Third: New winchester defender $245

Fourth: Mossberg 500 $225

I plan to add a surefire foregrip and probably a speedfeed stock unless I go for the folding stock 870.

Which of these is the best deal. I want a good HD shotgun and will be adding the surefire foregrip to any that I buy and probably the speedfeed stock.

Greg
Old March 17, 2001, 06:13 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Greg, try the search button in the upper right hand corner for a multitude of posts along these same lines. This is probably the most asked question.

FWIW, most of us do not like the folding stocks (from experience) unless there is a specific space limitation.

If I were you, I'd take the $160 870. Lower initial cost, proven design, lots of aftermarket parts.

Giz
Old March 17, 2001, 07:57 AM   #3
Tom B

Of the ones you mentioned go with the Winchester Defender. I have had one for several years and like it alot. I also have the 870 and a Mossberg. Can't warm up to the mossy at all. The 870 is great but unless you intend to put thousands and thousands of rounds thru, the 1300 IMO is the best for the money. Very smooth rotary bolt action and 100% reliable. 7rd mag comes stock. WOW that does it - I'm heading to the range right now to shoot mine. The Rem and Mossy will stay at home today!
Closed Thread