The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2001, 02:35 PM   #1
jlbpa

Have and Remington 870p. Need a barrel for turkey but want something versatile enough for all around 12 ga hunting. I have a 16 guage I can use for birds and rabbits so if need be I can focus the 12 gauge on turkey ducks and geese. So, what would be a good all around length? But if I wanted to focus on just turkey, ducks and geese what would be a good length? I assume its best to get something with changeable chokes??

Old March 22, 2001, 04:55 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

According to an article I read a few years ago, the velocity difference between a 20" SG bl and a 28" bl is less than the velocity variations between shots, so I don't feel that velocity is much of an issue. More important to you, is probably balance and sight radius. Many dedicated turkey guns are fairly short (22" or so), while dedicated geese guns tend to be longer than avg. Decide which usage is most important to you, and work from there.

JMO!
Old March 22, 2001, 10:38 PM   #3
Badger Arms

Agreed, longer barrels are for show and for handling characteristics. I'd go for a 26" barrel. Best ballance and pointability for me.
Old March 23, 2001, 06:36 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This is a very subjective thing. Frankenstein, my home built parts 870 has a 21" bbl and has taken more than it's share of snow geese,ringnecks and quail. Most folks like more bbl, especially for waterfowl, but this suffices,and it carries and balances well for me.

As a general rule,a 26-28" bbl may be the best all around length.
Old March 25, 2001, 08:14 PM   #5
Nimrod

Anything longer than 20" with 2.75", 22" with 3" and 24" with 3.5" (IMO) is wated weight. A shorter barrel is more friendly in the duck blind and quicker pointing. However, a longer barrel will give you a smoother swing and will be harder to stop (screw up) when using the swing through method.
Old March 25, 2001, 11:21 PM   #6
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
I'm a fan of short barrels too. IMO 24" is about the ideal all-around 12ga barrel length. I like 21" in 20ga. Used 12ga 870 barrels are a very common sight at gunshows, there's usually one table with 10 or 15. Look for an Express barrel with vent-rib and screw-in choke, in like new shape it should set you back $100 or less. -- Kernel