The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2010, 02:12 AM   #1
BlindMansBluff

Now Rifleless but I'm back!

hi guys! I am back, I ended up selling the Savage Mark IV but I got some audio/video on my youtube of me at the range with it. http://www.youtube.com/theblindtech#p/a/u/1/NA-ipYYUCrA

just thought the amo was too expensive at about 1.75 per round, it might have been the store I was using but hell I can get .22 rounds for like 25 bucks for like 525 rounds. so I decided to get a .22 rifle instead. haven't got one yet but I am looking around like3 at Big5 and my local range.
So just wanted to drop you all a line letting you kn ow I am still here and yeh.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mike Irwin; January 8, 2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Correct link to firearms related clip.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
svaz

Bummer about the Enfield - those are nice rifles. What about replacing it w/ a .308 Enfield? Ammo would be cheaper, if not cheap, and plentiful. Or you could just us Mosin fanatics.

Don't forget to check out pawn shops for nice old .22's. Nothing on retail store shelves, at comparable prices, seem the equals to the rimfires of the 50's to mid 80's.
Old January 8, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Dave85

Just curious, were you shooting soft-points? I shot my Lee-Enfield at an indoor range once, and was made to shoot the more expensive soft-point hunting ammo. This was because the folks at the range considered any full metal jacket ammo to be armor piercing, and there fore damaging to the backstop. From what I have seen, the FMJ rounds for .303 British are pretty far from armor piercing. This policy was probably a better-safe-than-sorry attitude with a little "hey, might as well get an ammo sale out of this" mixed in.

It's weird to see the .303 British prices. There was a time when it was a much more popular cartridge, and went pretty cheap. Of course, most all ammo was pretty cheap not too long ago...
Old January 9, 2010, 07:20 PM   #4
BlindMansBluff

um ok? I see my post was editted by a Mod, but I was never PM-ed or it doesn't list a reaso n, can some one tell me what's up? for lack of a better term, I hate being in the dark, you know what I mean *grins*. but yep, I figure .22 for now is a good way to go but I'll check out the other caliber mentioned.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old January 9, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

At the bottom of your original post, Mike Irwin corrected your link to your firearms related clip.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 10, 2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I edited your post.

The link you provided was for your hamster's funeral (my condolences, losing a pet stinks).

But, unfortunately, your hamster's funeral is NOT on topic for a discussion here at TFL, and especially not when the intro text to the link talks specifically about firearms.

As Tuttle notes, I did put a reason for editing your post into your post.

It was either that, or delete the entire thread.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:59 PM   #7
jhenry

I'm sure the service was very nice, and befitting of a hamster of his class and station in life.

I distinctly remember shooting at a no longer in service 1/2 or maybe 3/8 inch thick steel swinger target from our old muzzlelaoder range with my MK III Australian Lee Enfield, and having the rounds go right through. While I am sure it was some sort of very mild steel, I thought it was impressive. Surplus ammo, and I have no recollection of what type other than it was surplus from a local gun show that I got cheap.
Old January 10, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Dave85

Well, jhenry, that's more first-hand, real world steel shooting than I have done with the .303. I suppose those folks at the range had a pretty good reason for nixing the FMJ!

Do you remember what kind of ammo you were using? I usually shoot the Sellier & Bellot FMJ, which has a full lead core. I suppose I could see it punching through steel if the lead is hard enough. I have also shot some surplus ball ammo with the wood nose cone. I would be surprised to see that stuff do it. I have found the wood-nosed ball to be remarkably accurate, though.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:54 PM   #9
jhenry

No recollection at all. I shot the same steel with surplus 7.62 Nato out of an Indian Lee Enfield and had the same results. I suppose either the .303 or the 7.62 could have had mild steel cores. Looking back on it, I wish I knew.

Tags
marlin , rifle , ruger , savage